Using OSB for pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

If you can turn it - - -

There is a woodworker in England who incorporates OSB into his fine woodworking projects. He also has a web presence, and sells OSB t-shirts. Look for Matt Estlea on YouTube and Instagram. He also sells some finely crafted marking knives, and I believe that he has made at least on experimental knife from OSB.

I have turned Trex (artificial decking material) and MDF. I suspect that it is also possible to turn OSB and even particleboard. And I've used particleboard as countertop material (it's accepts varnish very well and looks rather nice). I wonder if it is possible to achieve the kind of turned finish that one would want on a pen. However, given the glue content, I suspect that conventional tools would require frequent sharpening - might be a good application for carbide tools.

So try turning a spindle from OSB and let us know how it turns out.

Afterthought - OSB might be a candidate for stabilization since it tends to be porous.

Last edited:

Dehn0045

Search and ye shall find! I'm sure there are more examples on IAP, but this is the first one I found. Some guidance in the thread about technique. Practicality is in the eye of the beholder - but I would suggest making more than one pen out of a 4x8 sheet 😉

Bats

Search and ye shall also find... Matt Estlea turning OSB pens!

(or, well, trying to, at any rate... looks like it's a rather challenging material - similar to the reports I've been seeing of hempwood)

TDahl

I turned a group of pens recently using OSB I had stabilized and dyed blue.

Attachments

• IMG_3920.jpg
    IMG_3920.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_4022.jpg
    IMG_4022.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 106

mapletree

Here are a couple things I made with OSB. The blades on the seam ripper and leather awl are my design. Takes a lot of thin CA and patients but worth the time and effort. Some of the picture is cut off the wood shows up. Don't know how to change the picture

Attachments

• IMG_1868.JPG seam ripper.jpg
    IMG_1868.JPG seam ripper.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1870.JPG
    IMG_1870.JPG
    209.7 KB · Views: 61

darrin1200

This was one I did for a PITH, many moons ago.
It was a "construction" wood challenge (because 2x4 spruce is not readily available in all countries) 😆
This one is different materials I was using to build my new workshop.
Plywood
Hardboard
OSB
Spruce

It was chippy, and needed scary sharp tools and sandpaper.
Lots of coats of CA

1649851994281.jpeg

TDahl

I made some segmented pens for a group of friends using OSB that I stabilized with Cactus Juice. I added blue Alumilite dye to the Cactus Juice which gave it a marbled effect. Here are some photos (the teal parts are the OSB):

Attachments

• IMG_3920.jpg
    IMG_3920.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4022.jpg
    IMG_4022.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 47

daveppeters

This was one I did for a PITH, many moons ago.
It was a "construction" wood challenge (because 2x4 spruce is not readily available in all countries) 😆
This one is different materials I was using to build my new workshop.
Plywood
Hardboard
OSB
Spruce

It was chippy, and needed scary sharp tools and sandpaper.
Lots of coats of CA

View attachment 332862
That looks great!!

daveppeters

I made this from OSB a few weeks ago. Took a lot of thin CA glue and constantly turning, then regluing a piece that flew off, then turning, then sharpening, etc. :) But it turned out pretty good I think. :)

20220329_082411.jpg

Top Bottom