Using mandrel but no bushings.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Doctor G

I want to do both pieces for the slimline making it thicker using the mandrel, digital micrometer but no bushings. I've seen how to make the center ring also. I'd prefer not to do each piece separately by turning centers. So the question: is there any reason that this is a problem using a micrometer for both the pieces of wood on the mandrel. Is there anything I'm missing.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

@Doctor G

Harris,
Based on what you have told us, I don't see any problem with what you are proposing to do.

Just a caution though ...... The combined length of both barrels together is just over 4" ... that's a pretty long sweep for your tool. . So, if you did want to make the pen "parallel-sided", you might have a little difficulty keeping the cutting tool at the same distance from the turning axis over the whole 4" length.

You used the words "making it thicker", so perhaps you have in mind to put a slightly bulged profile on each half of the slimline.
Or perhaps you have something else in mind.

So, without there being anything present on your mandrel to indicate the center point, you could get the two halves somewhat different shape.

Oh ... one other thing ... you used the word "micrometer" for your tool to do the measuring ... did you mean to say "caliper" ?
Both will work, but a "caliper" is what most of us use .... there is a difference in how you handle these two measuring instruments.

KenB259

@Doctor G

Harris,
Based on what you have told us, I don't see any problem with what you are proposing to do.

Just a caution though ...... The combined length of both barrels together is just over 4" ... that's a pretty long sweep for your tool. . So, if you did want to make the pen "parallel-sided", you might have a little difficulty keeping the cutting tool at the same distance from the turning axis over the whole 4" length.

You used the words "making it thicker", so perhaps you have in mind to put a slightly bulged profile on each half of the slimline.
Or perhaps you have something else in mind.

So, without there being anything present on your mandrel to indicate the center point, you could get the two halves somewhat different shape.

Oh ... one other thing ... you used the word "micrometer" for your tool to do the measuring ... did you mean to say "caliper" ?
Both will work, but a "caliper" is what most of us use .... there is a difference in how you handle these two measuring instruments.

I'm in the micrometer camp, been using both calipers and micrometers for about 40 years. IMHO, micrometers are better suited for cylindrical measuring.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

leehljp

Member Liaison
And another caution that you are probably taking: Make real sure ALL of the ends are SQUARED before putting them together.

adding in: Make sure all ends are squared to and with the full circle of the brass tubing too. I have seen squared ends of the wood/acrylic but not to or with the brass tubing. The wood/acrylic was squared just a minuscule bit shy of the brass tubing. DON'T do that.

Last edited:

its_virgil

Maybe I'm missing something but you say "no bushings." Is that NO bushings or just no center bushing? Personally I think the end bushings are necessary. But hey, as I said, maybe I'm missing something.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom