using left over pen blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hiharry626

lets say you got some wood left over after cutting off a blank could you use those and scavenge other pieces the more you turn? And glue the left over pieces together and make a pen? :confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Willee

lets say you got some wood left over after cutting off a blank could you use those and scavenge other pieces the more you turn? And glue the left over pieces together and make a pen? :confused:

You are asking a question you could easily answer yourself.
So why ask ... go and do it.

Then post a photo of the pen right here on the forum.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
What you are asking is can you build a pen by segmenting smaller pieces together. Yes it is done all the time. Designs run from I just glued stuff together and it, well is ugly. to the Holy cow did that turn out nice. there are turners here that cut wood up into 1/8 strips and glue and recut them to make 1/8 squares. Then they make great boxes and pens and what ever they desire. Your design capabilities are your only limits.

monophoto

This probably falls into the 'he's got too much time on his hands' category, but - - -

just out of curiosity, the other day I calculated how much of a pen blank actually remains in the final product.

Now, pens vary depending on the actual profile that the turner chooses. So any number is only an approximation. But my calculation showed that 85% of the original pen blank became chips and sawdust.

Amazing!

snyiper

You can do heychains and all kind of small projects with your scraps. You never know when youll need a oops band!!

Pens By Scott

toddlajoie

I've made a LOT of these types with acrylic.. I have not ventured into doing it with the vast pile of wood blocks near my saw, mainly because the possible combinations are staggering...

Pens%206816.jpg

Pens%206825.jpg

Pens%203620.jpg

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Is that all

This probably falls into the 'he's got too much time on his hands' category, but - - -

just out of curiosity, the other day I calculated how much of a pen blank actually remains in the final product.

Now, pens vary depending on the actual profile that the turner chooses. So any number is only an approximation. But my calculation showed that 85% of the original pen blank became chips and sawdust.

Amazing!

I'd have guessed more....

Top Bottom