Using gloves while turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jscola

I need some advice. Does anyone use gloves while turning? I have a problem with a rash on my hands & fingers. Now there starting to crack & bleed! Found out I'm allergic to Epoxy resin and some adhesives. I don't want to give up turning so I'm thinking of using gloves. Your opinions would help! Thanks, Joe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

I have the Michael Jackson look, one glove on my tool rest hand, just got used to turning with it and feels funny turning without it.

gerryr

You might try nitrile gloves, thin enough so you still have the "feel" of the tool but they will protect your hands. The downside of course is that your hand will get sweaty. I wore one on my left hand for about a week after I tried to remove the end of my pointer finger while turning.[:0][B)][:(]

chitswood

A lot of people go nuts when I say this, but I wear thick construction gloves when I turn.
It lets your knuckles hit the chuck without any damage, and they take heat extremely well wich is the main reason I wear them.

If your allergic, would dipping your hands in something like anchorseal wax fix the problem?

alamocdc

I've often worn latex gloves while turning. I'm also like Darrick in that I often wear leather work gloves while turning bowls and other large objects. I like the protection.

jscola

Thanks for the input. I don't like wearing anything on my hands,but I'm not giving up turning, So I guess I'll try some gloves. (Even the doctor said don't give up your passion.) Thanks again Joe

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
I got use to wearing gloves, not necessarily for pens, but when turning larger items such as bowls, and now feel uncomfy without them.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=632

dubdrvrkev

Normally when people talk about safety they say not too wear them. But sometimes you just got to. I only do if I am turning a bowl from a dry blank. I wear the (fake) mechanix style glove.

JimGo

Bill Baumbeck is a big advocate of wearing heavy gloves when he turns. I wear Nitrile (or however that's spelled) rubber gloves, but no anything thicker. If/when I try something bigger than a pen, I might consider it.

Dario

I have somewhat similar problem. I have eczema since childhood but turning seems to flare it up. They do crack and bleed too. Whatever is causing it is still unknown to me. I tried nitrile gloves but only for a few minutes. Can't stand the sweat!!! I might try other gloves or wear an inner cotton gloves...but for now I still try to turn without gloves.

One thing that helps me is applying Aquaphor after bathing. It is petrolatum based so it is oily/sticky. Worth it for me though.

johncrane

here in oz you can buy gloves made of pig skin it is a thin leather which allows you to have a good feel most of the riggers and truckies use them. I have not tryed this yet! I will next time I do a redgum burl bowl,I lost half a fingernail while sanding inside the bowl.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I use latex gloves, especially when applying CA or other finish. If I had an alergy to Latex, I would use Nitrile. When I start bowl turning, I will consider heavier gloves. I think gloves for people who are just starting woodworking or turning, should wait until they have some experience and have the feel of tools and wood. Gloves do add a degree of danger for the unaware and inexperienced, but adds an extra margin of safety in some circumstances for the experienced user.

jscola

I can't beleave I got this problem at my age (63). I worked in the chemical engraving & texturing business for 35 yrs, using nitric acid & ferric chloric acid& all sortes of cleaners and never had a problem until I started turning. Thank GOD this is just a minor problem compared to problems other's have in life. Joe

DocStram

My hands not only crack, the skin peels off in patches, and blood even seeps out. There have been times when I look down at my tie or shirt and see blood stains from my hands touching them. I have been to so many different dermatologists so many different times that it's unbelievable. I have what they call "Contact Dermatitist". It's an allergic reaction to something that I touch. We just can't figure out the things I'm allergic to. (LOML says it's the leather steering wheel on my old '86 911).
So, yeah, I often wear gloves when turning.

fuzzydog

I've used types in the past, one is a set of golf gloves (very thin leather and allows me to feel whats happening with the tool) the second are bicycling gloves (they have a web back hand which allows sweat to evaporate yet have a padded front. The finger tips are bare, the glove only covers past the first knuckle, so your really get the feel.
I wear latex or nitrile when gluing and finishing.
David

Draken

Have you tried different adhesives to see if you can prevent the reaction? Try gorilla glue or sumo glue, CA, etc. I have eczema also, found out it was caused by petrolum based products, so most skin moisturizer I can't use. The only brand I can use without problems so far is the stuff from Bath and Body Works. So far, thankfully, the woodworking hasn't caused problems.

Cheers,
Draken

woodwish

I have tried using nitrile and latex gloves at different times to turn cocobola or rosewood, which really cause a bad skin reaction with me. Didn't really seem to help much except for very short periods of turing time.

To avoid the problems with heat I use some fingerless gloves designed for sailors. Really help on big items or wet stuff, on pens it wouldn't really matter.

BTW- I think this is officially my 1000th post, I need to get a life! [:D]

woodbutcher

I find a layer of aloe gel prior to turning gives me a thin barrier that helps with all the affore mentioned problems except heat. I am considering a leather driving glove with the finger tips cut away to help resolve the issue of heat when turning larger items. I get the aloe gel at G N C (health food store) but it is available at most health stores. Hope this helps,
Jim

Randy_

Look at the safety warnings that came with your lathe and I will bet there is a warning against wearing gloves. There is a real risk involved in wearing gloves around rotating machinery. If you are aware of the risk and accept it, then so be it.

I would never wear heavy thick leather or cloth gloves around a lathe. If you have an allergy problem, I don't see much of a rick with the latex or nitrile (surgical) gloves. To those who are wearing gloves fpor "protection" from knuckle busting, I would respectfully suggest that you are being careless if you are busting knuckles and need to be more careful.

alamocdc

FWIW, this site says not to wear gloves around moving or revolving machinery. It also says never to remove or circumvent any guards that come on your equipment. But how many of us do just that on a regular basis? My table saw hasn't seen its blade guard in over a year. [:0]

DocStram

All it takes is one slight bump of the knuckle against that chuck .... and you won't make the same mistake again. Been there.
By the way, was it in Packard's catalog that I saw the cloth cuff that you slip over the chuck to make it more visible? And then there's the board jig that somebody made to block access to the chuck.

"Never take your eyes off of a running lathe"

ncseeker

I would be REAL hesitant to wear leather gloves while turning. I've done some turning wearing nitrile gloves and twice had them abruptly snatched off by the lathe. I can't imagine what would happen if they didn't tear away. Now, I don't even wear those, it's too scary !!

Sylvanite

Originally posted by woodbutcher
<br />I find a layer of aloe gel prior to turning gives me a thin barrier that helps...
That's an interesting idea. Mary Kay sells a lotion that is said to help prevent poison ivy reactions. You put it on before going into infested areas and it supposedly acts as a barrier to contact. If it's effective against urushiol (the active ingredient in poison ivy), it might also work for other contact allergens such as cocobolo dust.

Regards,
Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom