Using CNC in pen turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NGLJ

I haven't been active in pen turning recently because I bought a desktop CNC about 2 months ago. So the recent past has been getting up to speed with that. I would like to incorporate my CNC into other parts of my hobby including pen turning and am wondering if others have done that.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
There was a fellow, Dan Symonds, went by cnc_maker, who did fantastic work with a cnc controlled router. Couldn't find any of his work posted here. His last login here was December 2017.

Mach4

Basically what you're looking for is a rotary axis. Conceptually you'll plug the rotary axis into the controller in place of one of the axis, typically x. Instead of x moving the spindle in a linear direction it will move the stepper in the rotary axis in a rotary motion. You will use some CAD software to create the design/pattern and a CAM software to create the Gcode to drive the router. You should be able to do some really interesting things that are impossible with a lathe.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress…

NGLJ

With this in mind I purchased a rotary axis on sale during Amazon days. Haven't yet got around to figuring out how to use it. I think in my case you connect one of the y-axis stepper motor leads to the rotary unit and use the x-axis to move along the rotating item. Not that it is a surprise I am finding that there is so much I can do now that I have a CNC. So not sure when I will get around to trying the rotary unit. However, curiosity is niggling at me :). A close woodworking friend has asked me to help with his guitar making hobby. He asked me to make inlays for his guitars. So much to learn and so little time!

Drewby108

I did some rotary axis work on aluminum when I was in school for machining. There is definitely a learning curve to getting everything lined up right.

I made a shroud for a lightsaber I will eventually finish (going on 7 years gathering dust in the toolbox lol).

Point is, there is a lot of fun stuff you can do with CNC work and your imagination is usually the biggest limit.

NGLJ

I am now realizing the potential of my CNC purchase. Every new major tool that I have purchased has opened up new possibilities. Because there is so much scope it leaves you wondering "what to do next?". I am now thinking about how to make joints on my CNC for box making but don't know when I will actually get to it!

Top Bottom