USAF desktop pen holder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DigBaddy72

DigBaddy72

After about 3 months of designs, proofing, re-designing, and a LOT of lessons learned, I am very proud to present this USAF desktop pen holder I finished for a customer.

The back story: Customer would like a unique gift for their son who is receiving his officer's commission in the USAF. They wanted a pen/pencil set and a display stand as well.

The concept: I had the pen ideas already in mind once they mentioned what they wanted. I also knew I wanted to incorporate the USAF logo into the base design. I really like how the logo looks. I also wanted to work with inlays as I had never done that before. My original design was to have the base made of maple with walnut inlays. Then the idea changed to use epoxy inlay. Then the idea changed to use USAF blue in the epoxy. Then the idea changed to have the outline done in silver. Next thing you know, I have the base done!

So, the base is cut from scrap maple that I had laying around. I used my dremel plunge router attachment to route out where I was going to pour the epoxy. Some of it leeched into the fibers of the surrounding wood. To cover that up, I went with the Rub N Buff silver leaf. What I liked about that result is that now the base looks like it is machined from a solid piece of metal. I think it really goes well with the pen and pencil.

I also routed out a place to put the pen and pencil so you can lay it "clip down". In a flash of inspiration, I remembered I had some 1/4" rare earth magnets from when I used to build models. I embedded one in each pen slot so if the customer wishes to, the base can be hung and the pen and pencil will stay in place!

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 20160507_170452.jpg
    20160507_170452.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 513
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Am I not seeing all photos or am I just blind which I know maybe the case. :)I do not see it as a stand or are you still working on it. Maybe a few more photos. Love to see it. I do not see the 3D effect so I am missing something. Seems other see it well because they like it.

Last edited:

Cmmarshall

Very nice. I can tell a lot of work went into that. And you can't even tell in the pic that there is any wood under there.

Keep up the good work!

jttheclockman

John --- it is a pen holder. It holds a pen and a pencil.

What does that mean??? He said something about a stand. I see this thing laying on a piece of plywood and the photo is looking downward. Does it have feet behind it to raise it or explain how it is used. A pen holder to me is one of those pocket protectors you put in the shirt pocket. Still need more photos or a better explanation of its use. Sorry but I am from the show me school of thinking. :)

thewishman

Very nice work! You will make the customer happy and his son will be proud to display your pen holder.:)

After about 3 months of designs, proofing, re-designing, and a LOT of lessons learned, I am very proud to present this USAF desktop pen holder I finished for a customer.

John, as Ken pointed out - this is a pen holder, it is not a stand. There is no stand.

jttheclockman

Very nice work! You will make the customer happy and his son will be proud to display your pen holder.:)

John, as Ken pointed out - this is a pen holder, it is not a stand. There is no stand.

Being you are shouting it how does this pen holder work??? I see the pen and pencil. Do you just lay it on the desk flat and it keeps the pen and pencil from rolling around??? I have never seen something like this. I will be learning something new that you seem to know all about. Please explain and no need to shout.

Any pen holder I ever made or seen has a place for the pen to rest but it has some depth to it or it would sit in an easel or something like a picture frame.

By the way the work is fantastic and it is going to be well received. Some nice thinking outside the box. Just wanted the OP to know I do love the piece. Anything to do with military is a huge star in my book. I am just trying to learn something here. Trying to get a little conversation going here and little more insight.

Last edited:

BradG

John, it's in the description
I also routed out a place to put the pen and pencil so you can lay it "clip down". In a flash of inspiration, I remembered I had some 1/4" rare earth magnets from when I used to build models. I embedded one in each pen slot so if the customer wishes to, the base can be hung and the pen and pencil will stay in place!

Nice work :) Magnets for the win! It's nice to see someone else participating in this new category, keep it up and I look forward to seeing what you come up with in the future

DigBaddy72

Am I not seeing all photos or am I just blind which I know maybe the case. :)I do not see it as a stand or are you still working on it. Maybe a few more photos. Love to see it. I do not see the 3D effect so I am missing something. Seems other see it well because they like it.

Hey John no worries! This does lay flat on the desk. I routed out some troughs where the pens are laying (so they don't roll around). I routed a bit deeper in the area so the pen could lay "clip down". This was done to show off the cool blanks. I also embedded magnets in the routed out area so the pens were held more firmly in place. This also allows for the whole thing to be hung on the wall like a plaque.

Here is a better photo of the "underneath" workings. I hope this explains it better. I'm not the greatest at conveying my thought process in an easy to read manner.

1. Routed area for pens to rest.
2. Routed a little deeper so pen can lay "clip down"
3. 1/4" hole for rare earth magnet
4. Total length of routed area for "clip down" placement.

Attachments

• 20160507_155449.jpg
    20160507_155449.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 216

jttheclockman

Kieth thanks for the explanation. I understand it a little more. Still have to say I have never seen a pen holder that layed flat on a desk. This is a first for me. others seem to have seen things like this and got the concept right away. You did a great job with the project. You expanded your comfort zone and experimented with other techniques and that is good to see. This may open other avenues up for yourself. Look forward to seeing what else you come up with. As I said anything military gets stars from me. Thanks for showing.

I do hope others show off their pen holders and pen stands here too. Would love to see more.

DigBaddy72

Kieth thanks for the explanation. I understand it a little more. Still have to say I have never seen a pen holder that layed flat on a desk. This is a first for me. others seem to have seen things like this and got the concept right away. You did a great job with the project. You expanded your comfort zone and experimented with other techniques and that is good to see. This may open other avenues up for yourself. Look forward to seeing what else you come up with. As I said anything military gets stars from me. Thanks for showing.

I do hope others show off their pen holders and pen stands here too. Would love to see more.

I know what you mean. Most desk stands for pens are designed to hold the pen up right, by the tip. According to my customer, they didn't know how big his desk would be or how crowded it would be. Having experience working at a busy (ie, VERY messy) desk, I know what it is like to reach across my desk for something and knock things over.

I wanted to make a holder that held the pen and pencil flat. I like how some pen boxes have a routed trough to hold the pen in. I didn't like how that same design would make the pen roll over to its side because of the clip.

Thanks for your kind words, I hope to do some more military related stands like this in the future.

Top Bottom