Urushi and Damascus pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Pierre---

Pierre---

Hi all,
Made this pen on a ebonite base, with multiple layers of urushi, big gold flakes, more layers, tiny nashiji gold flakes before polishing, that gives a little depth. A little decoration at center band place with dark blue urushi and silver, and a Damascus clip. Like an evocation of a sail on the sea under a starry night:
IMG_2562.JPG

IMG_2583.JPG

A second pen on a wood base, sort of an tortoise shell imitation, also with gold powder and Damascus clip. Not easy to catch all the gold on the picture... :
IMG_2403.JPG

IMG_2442.JPG

C&c welcome. Enjoy!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Both are beautiful artistry. I love the cabachon(s)! The centerband on the 1'st is beautiful with the uneven edge... very nice visual. Thanks for sharing and the inspiration. Be well.

Pierre---

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen!
This is amazing! Did you fabricate the clip yourself?
Yes Sir!

Incredible.

I'm curious how you made the Damascus clips.
That is not so difficult: I have a 3mm Damascus plate, I cut rectangular blanks, bend them with a torch, a hammer and a vise, shape them on the grinder and with files, sand and polish them, a little swim in percloride and that's it.

jrista

Stunning work. I haven't seen too many Urushi finished pens. They often have a kind of depth (thanks to the layering) that you just don't see much. I imagine these are long haul projects with Urushi? About how long does it take to finish a pen?

Truly love the damascus clip and cabachons. WONDERFUL! Are you making the clips yourself?

Pierre---

Stunning work. I haven't seen too many Urushi finished pens. They often have a kind of depth (thanks to the layering) that you just don't see much. I imagine these are long haul projects with Urushi? About how long does it take to finish a pen?

Truly love the damascus clip and cabachons. WONDERFUL! Are you making the clips yourself?
Seeing the real object and seeing a picture are two different things with urushi, especially when metallic powders are involved: you need to move the pen in the light to really appreciate it and the transparency:
IMG_1428.JPG

About making of, between 15 days and six month are needed for any urushi pen after turning. I made these pens in maybe one month. Mostly curing time, happily.

Did I make the clip myself? Please just read above.

Pierre---

Bien sûr Fred !
The clip is bent and the little tab is heavily notched. The cap inside has a flat end, and I drill a little hole perpendicularly, right at the end. I shape it to fit the clip with no gap (the longest work), I prepare a little wooden disk that fits into the cap, and pour plenty of two-parts epoxy into the cap through both holes. I made a nylon stick I introduce into the cap with the disk on top, clamp it and wipe the glue in excess.
I would have preferred to screw it, but could not find a good way to do it precisely. But epoxy is strong, and I never had any problems.

Ça te titille, les agrafes ? :)

Last edited:

Fred Bruche

Bien sûr Fred !
The clip is bent and the little tab is heavily notched. The cap inside has a flat end, and I drill a little hole perpendicularly, right at the end. I shape it to fit the clip with no gap (the longest work), I prepare a little wooden disk that fits into the cap, and pour plenty of two-parts epoxy into the cap through both holes. I made a nylon stick I introduce into the cap with the disk on top, clamp it and wipe the glue in excess.
I would have preferred to screw it, but could not find a good way to do it precisely. But epoxy is strong, and I never had any problems.

Ça te titille, les agrafes ? :)
Thank you, Pierre.
Let's say I'm encouraging my French je ne sais quoi to do some exploring 🙃 One of the unresolved things is to attach a clip after the pen is done/finished without destroying the cap or damaging the finish 😅

Pierre---

To screw a finial sandwiching a ringed clip is another effective way, with no damage to the finish.

Last edited:
Top Bottom