urn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Has anyone ever turned an urn? I'm not looking to get into thread chasing - beyond my skills. Just wondering if anyone knows of an easy-ish method to add a lid to a turned vessel.

It's likely beyond my current skills, but just wanted to play around. Any tips?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tomtedesco

I used black plastic pipe fittings. I recessed the female section in the urn body and the male threads I glued to a tendon on the top/lid. Both sections of plastic were cut down to 3/4 inch long before gluing to the wood. Used epoxy to attach the plastic to the wood.

Curly

One of our turning club members has made hundreds of urns, worked in a funeral home, and he makes the lid and staved body separately, glues them together. The body has a hole to put the ashes into in the bottom with a small cover that is sealed shut with 3 or 4 small screws. Accessible if needed and never leaks.

Ruth Niles posts that she has brass rings for urns....

I can't find his site right now, but I also bought a couple of brass/bronze rings from a fellow on the web... his are plumbing fittings that he reshapes to use in urns... I haven't used them yet, but have them out to try next time I'm in an urn turning mood.
I think his name is John Keeton or keetom... he's on Sawmill creek I think.

Top Bottom