URLs (links) for the contest entry forms...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Attention contest chairs,

Here is a list of the urls for each of your contests. Please be sure to visit your entry form and let me know of any changes you would like made. I would also like to request that you submit an entry to test it out and familiarize yourself with how it works in case you get asked. I can add drop down choices, radio buttons, or change any of the test that you would like.

The Berea Hardwoods Intermediate Beautiful Pen Contest

The Berea Hardwoods Intermediate Beautiful Pen Contest

The Exotic Blanks Advanced Beautiful Pen Contest

The Exotic Blanks Advanced Beautiful Pen Contest

The R and B Crafts Freestyle Pen Contest

The R&B Crafts Freestyle Pen Contest

The Smitty's Pen Works Beginner Beautiful Pen Contest

The Smitty's Pen Works Beginner Beautiful Pen Contest

The TurnTex Woodworks Photo Challenge

The TurnTex Woodworks Photo Challenge

2013 Casting Contests

2013 Casting Contests

The Frankenpen Contest (AKA: Modified Pen Contest)

The Frankenpen Contest (AKA: Modified Pen Contest)

3rd Annual Russ Fairfield Memorial Modified Slimline Contest

3rd Annual Russ Fairfield Memorial Modified Slimline Contest

The Creative Mug Shots Contest

The Creative Mug Shots Contest

If I have missed any, please let me know ASAP. Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I will get it tomorrow, Mike. Broberg did not have it on the excel file he posted for me with the latest contests. How many photos are they allowed to upload? Any other details you need besides what is already on the other forms? Would you like me to put in a field where they have to choose their birtdate to prove their age? Are their different categories based on age? I did not see anything posted yet in the Bash Public forum (that is not public yet!). Please let me know and I will get it. Also, if you can let me know the ending date and time I will add a countdown timer.

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
Curtis,

I just emailed jeff telling him my "Article of the Year 2012 Poll" is complete except for the date of start/closing. I've asked him to move the poll to the Bash forum. My poll is Here.

Being the new guy, I'm not sure who sets the dates or how to proceed. Help!

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Curtis,

Creative Mug Shots seemed to be submitted fine. Are the entries supposed to automatically be forwarded to the email address that the chair provided? If so, my test submission was not forwarded.

mbroberg

Curtis,

I just emailed jeff telling him my "Article of the Year 2012 Poll" is complete except for the date of start/closing. I've asked him to move the poll to the Bash forum. My poll is Here.

Being the new guy, I'm not sure who sets the dates or how to proceed. Help!

Wayne,

You may determine the timetable for your contest. Make it easy on yourself.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Just a heads up...the contest forms are not set to e-mail to the chairs at the moment. I have them set to e-mail to me so that I can do testing and make sure everything is working as expected. I will make the changes to to e-mails this evening.

Buzzzz4

Thank you for making these. You did great work! Any chance you could add to the Frankenpen a space for them to state the base kit they used?

Thanks!!!

mbroberg

Curtis,

If it is not too much problem could you change the Creative Mug Shot Form to allow only one picture submission and inste3ad of "Tell us about your pen" ask for a photo Title and Caption? If not I'll just edit the instructions in the rules post.

Thanks

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Curtis,

If it is not too much problem could you change the Creative Mug Shot Form to allow only one picture submission and inste3ad of "Tell us about your pen" ask for a photo Title and Caption? If not I'll just edit the instructions in the rules post.

Thanks

No problem at all, Mike. I will make the changes in a few minutes.

toddlajoie

Slight Change to text

Curtis,

can you change the entry form text to match the rules for image size:

Current:

You may upload up to 2 pictures per category. Pictures need to be 800x600 with a maximum file size of 256kb. Your pictures
can be .jpg, .jpeg, or .png.

New:

You may upload up to 2 pictures per category. Pictures need to be no larger than 800x800 with a maximum file size of 256kb. Your pictures
can be .jpg, .jpeg, or .png.

I did a test submission and got a "Server taking too long to respond" message at first, but got it to submit the second time.

Not sure if you have my E-Mail address to route the submissions to but if not you can set it to todd.lajoie (at) bhs (dot) org.

The submission form looks fantastic. This is the first look I've gotten "behind the scenes" on the bash activities, and I don't think ANYONE has any idea the amount of work you all have put into this over the years!!!

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Todd,

I can certainly change it for you but highly advise against it! The reason the limit is 800x600 is because that matches what the forum limits are. If you get entries at 800x800, you will have to re-size them in order to post them to any forum once the contest is over, thus creating more work for you! As for the difference in wording of "needs to be" vs "no larger than"...again I would advise leaving it at "needs to be". This is based on my observations in previous bash photo contests. The first year, I only had an upper limit and I got a number of photos that were thumbnails or so small they could not possibly be used. I would contact the contributor to ask for larger photos and I would get the same photo but they had simply re-sized it to a larger size which made is pixilated of course. This became too much work so the next year, I had a minimum and maximum and still got a number of photos that were less than the minimum and had to disqualify them.

It is your contest and I certainly am NOT trying to dictate how you run it, just giving my past experiences. I will be more than happy to change it to anything that you want!

toddlajoie

DOH!!! Yes I misunderstood the wording on the previous rules and misread the requirements on the submission page... Makes perfect sense to keep the submissions in line with the forum limits.

Does this sound more clear? And the wording in the contest rules would match...

Images must be at least 600 pixels in one direction and a maximum of 800 pixels in the other direction.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Todd,

I still don't think that will work. The forum limits are 800 x 600. If you try to upload a 600 x 800 picture, I don't think you can.

I just tested it with the pic below. The software allowed me to uploaded the pic at 600x800 but it re-sized it to 450x600 and of course, it lost some quality during the process.

Attachments

• 1_2012PhotoChallengeTurbowagon.jpg
    1_2012PhotoChallengeTurbowagon.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 85

toddlajoie

Ahhhh, I figured it would let you do one or the other... Trying to find clear wording that gives good minimum/maximum sizes clearly for the not-tech types...

How about:

Images must be at least 600 pixels in height, and no more than 800 pixels in width.

I want to get the rules and the submission form to have the same wording/requirement, as they were a bit different from each other originally...

I guess it's just me, as I'm a huge fan of panoramas, that this would make a very wide but short image (i.e. 300x800) not meet qualifications but I guess we'd be more likely to get photos in portrait orientation than panorama...

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
We might want to change it to read like the forum upload list reads: Image limits: Maximum width: 800 pixels, maximum height:600 pixels. Remember, small pictures will not able to be effectively judged so please give us the biggest picture you can within the limits and leave it at that. If someone wants to submit a 150x150 photo, let them! Of course it will not be able to be judged and they will not win but that is their choice!

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Oh, and I agree with you on the 800x300. I am a big fan of close cropping to get rid of unnecessary background. If I had to upload a basic pen picture at 600x600, it would have a lot of background and would not look good.

Top Bottom