Upgrading this ole band saw...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I need to upgrade my ancient 16" Grizzly band saw, but I'm not sure if what I'm needing is possible. I need a bigger support platform as well as increased cutting height. I think there are upgrades out there for increased cutting height but not sure about if there are options for installing a larger platform. I'm hoping my platform mount is of a universal type and there might be an upgrade option out there. Or if I can rig it somehow that'd be acceptable too. Any advice on where the parts I'm needing might be sold?

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Brad; What you need is a riser kit. I would call Grizzly and ask what riser kit fits this saw. The kit will include longer blade covers, and a 6" steel square that inserts into the break between the top and bottom wheels. You will need new saw blades because the riser kit increases the length of the blade needed. Larger tables likely are not available.

Hope this helps.

duncsuss

As Randy says, get a Riser kit for the extra height.

For the extra table area: Grizzly might have a suggestion. If not, you might consider adding wings to the table you have - you can see the front edge of your table is already drilled and tapped for bolts to hold a fence rail, it should be possible to drill and tap the side(s) also to receive wings in the same way you can extend a table saw.

Another option is to get a piece of 3/4" MDF or plywood, slot it for the blade, and figure out a way to clamp it to the table. For ideas, look at articles for circle cutting jigs.

Jim Campbell

As Randy says, get a Riser kit for the extra height.

For the extra table area: Grizzly might have a suggestion. If not, you might consider adding wings to the table you have - you can see the front edge of your table is already drilled and tapped for bolts to hold a fence rail, it should be possible to drill and tap the side(s) also to receive wings in the same way you can extend a table saw.

Another option is to get a piece of 3/4" MDF or plywood, slot it for the blade, and figure out a way to clamp it to the table. For ideas, look at articles for circle cutting jigs.

That's what I did. Mounted stringers around the existing table, and in my case drilled and bolted it

I used 3/4" Baltic Burch and trimmed it with red oak.
C1473CF2-4303-4E49-A706-A95E981B09BE.jpeg
551F726B-B086-4B5D-AE61-6546DD6361A4.jpeg

Last edited:

duncsuss

That's what I did. Mounted stringers around the existing table, and in my case drilled and bolted it

I used 3/4" Baltic Burch and trimmed it with red oak.

This is the best table extension I've seen - love the sled with it's own fence and stop-block.

The only problem I see is your beer can might fall through that holder šŸ¤£ (maybe mount a box of some kind underneath?)

Thanks randy. I gave Grizzly a call but they said they didn't have a riser setup for the 16" band saws. That turned out to be ok thought because I found Robo Hippy's chainsaw log cutting setup and now I won't have to do the larger cuts I was thinking. Didn't mention this is all going toward cutting out bowl blanks for logs using a circle jig. Once I noticed the threaded screw holes on the side of the table I used those to mount some angle iron and rig a melamine based circle cutting jig on top of the extra supports and voila!...a larger table and a circle cutting jig all in one.

duncsuss yes that's exactly what I did. Found a lot of good ideas watching circle cutting jig videos, but it was your suggestion to use those side mount holes that made it all happen so thanks a million.

Thanks for the pics Jim. Mine is similar to yours except I used angle iron instead of the wood support. Agreeing with duncsuss, I'm a bit envious of your setup there. Good to see what I can work toward having down the road.

Top Bottom