Up Date on how my "First Friday" went.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TellicoTurning

We got there about 6 pm and checked in with the shop owners... the actually started at 5pm, but they said no need to get there too early as it wouldn't get really started until later. The had an excellent display of my work.. very classy.

Grabbed a class of wine and looked around the shop for a few minutes... about 6:30 the crowds began to arrive and it was wall to wall people from then until we left about 9 pm when my wife gave out. She's partially crippled and walks with a cane, so lots of standing and crowds are tough on her. She's a trooper though and made the rounds regularly.

We didn't sell any of my new turnings, but there isn't a lot of buying at these events anyway... mostly lookers, but the shop owners said that in the long run, these events are their life line... they do well from them. Many times the lookers come back later and buy. They did sell one of my pens that they bought from me and stocked. And I may have a couple of orders for later... one customer was asking if I could custom make a pen with a particular wood... he runs a web design company and the shop keepers said he would probably want several since what he was looking for was company colors.. we'll see on that.

Lots of positive comments on my work. All in all, I think a good event.

Attachments

• Copy of Wall display.JPG
    Copy of Wall display.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 196
  • Copy of Wall display 2.JPG
    Copy of Wall display 2.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 187
  • Copy of Wall display 3.JPG
    Copy of Wall display 3.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 177
  • Copy of Wall display 4.JPG
    Copy of Wall display 4.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 184
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

Congratulations. It sounds like it went really well. Getting people to see your work, even if they don't buy immediately, is always a good thing. The sales will follow.

Scott-n-KY

Chuck, Nice display and GREAT looking products. Really like the short mill just to the right of your bio sheet, really neat design. Need to put that one on your web site.

Last edited:
Chuck, Nice display and GREAT looking products. Really like the short mill just to the right of your bio sheet, really neat design. Need to put that one on your web site.

Hey Scott,
I had it on my web-site, but the guys that own the gallery bought it... all of the peppermills in the display, I made but they are part of the gallery stock.

The wine glasses, the hurricane lamps and tea lights are on the two mantle type shelves were made for the first Friday and are on consignment at the gallery through the end of August.

Skye

I think the more usable the item, the more likely it'll sell. While the stemware is neat, I'd doubt many people would actually buy one, although I've got no experience with such. I'd think pens would be your ace in the hole. Maybe bottle stoppers as well.

I'd make sure you clearly label what the mills are, just in case nobody knows by simply looking at them.

I wonder if you could get some lightly color tinted resin and partially fill one of the glasses. Make it look like it's something you can use, not just look at.

Leave plenty of business cards if you're allowed. While it's possible to show your web address on your posters, it's a tough name to remember.

I think the more usable the item, the more likely it'll sell. While the stemware is neat, I'd doubt many people would actually buy one, although I've got no experience with such. I'd think pens would be your ace in the hole. Maybe bottle stoppers as well.

I'd make sure you clearly label what the mills are, just in case nobody knows by simply looking at them.

I wonder if you could get some lightly color tinted resin and partially fill one of the glasses. Make it look like it's something you can use, not just look at.

Leave plenty of business cards if you're allowed. While it's possible to show your web address on your posters, it's a tough name to remember.

I had considerable interest in the stemware.. not sure how well it will sell yet, but it's fun to do, I use mostly scrapwood and glasses aren't that expensive to pick up... I can cut the stem off myself with a dremel. Believe it or not, Pens don't sell that well in my neighborhood. I do better with other turnings.

I've never had anyone ask "what is it?" with the peppermills... so far they have been recognized immediately... I'm more likely to get asked "what are these?" when pointing at the bottle stoppers. They sell fairly well, but I sell them fairly cheap too.

I've made two other of the "hurricane" lamps and they sold the first show I took them to.

I don't have business cards at the Merchants since they bought most of the inventory except for the glass pieces. But I do have some stuff at a few local places around town and there are cards there.

Top Bottom