Up-Cycled Bamboo Kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PatrickR

PatrickR

I made this from a used cutting board that had natural breadboard ends and smoked body. The smoked pieces I stabilized in red. It didn't take much juice. I guess because of the process of making bamboo into a board. The accents are crosscut natural bamboo. With alumilite sleeves, accents and section. First time threading alumilite for me, could be much better.
Length - 145mm
max dia - 16.3mm
min dia - 13.6mm
weight - 20g
13mm threads
C, C & Q welcome.
0BED8E7B-C0FB-4325-82B4-19DBA660630F.jpeg
B12ECC6A-C451-4CA6-97C6-589ADDAACC8F.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KMCloonan

Very nice. I love the deep red section & finials combined with the bamboo. Never thought of using bamboo cutting board for blanks, I will have to give it a try.

Your alumilite threads look fine to me. Better than I have been able to achieve.

PatrickR

Very nice. I love the deep red section & finials combined with the bamboo. Never thought of using bamboo cutting board for blanks, I will have to give it a try.

Your alumilite threads look fine to me. Better than I have been able to achieve.
Thanks!
i've had the idea for awhile but it took some time to find one that was 3/4", most are 1/2".
i made the mistake of running the die hard against the step and it left some marks. Also I was too aggressive compressing the die and got tiny chips on the threads. They work well but don't stand up to close scrutiny. Ebonite threads much easier/better.

Fine Engineer

I was looking for bamboo blanks a while ago and couldn't find anything, so on a whim, went to Walmart and sitting right there was a bamboo cutting board that was laminated in exactly the way I was looking for.

It felt a little strange taking a finished product out of the wrapper and taking it right to my table saw, but for about $15 I got probably 20 very nice bamboo blanks, along with some scrap that can be made into other details. A very cost effective material supply I'd say.

Top Bottom