Unsecure tube in a tube in blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Has anyone ever experienced , or know of a situation where the tube in a tube in Alumilite blank broke free from the resin so that it would move and extend out the end of the blank?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

Yep, a couple over the years, also a couple from silmar 41 tube on cast blanks. I just used a little epoxy and glued it back in. It was a tight fit but held up in the end.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Thanks John. I was just contacted about one. I didn't think it would be possible but offered to send a replacement blank anyway. Learn something new everyday!!

mecompco

I seem to recall that I had a tube come loose as well. I'd painted it with silver spray paint and sealed with clear acrylic paint and cast in PR. I think it was just so slippery--I've had similarly prepared tubes fail with 5 minute epoxy as well upon very rare occasions. In any case, I was able to epoxy the tube back in with no damage.

TonyL

Sorry,you said Alumulite. I am sure it happened to me. my response was for casein.

Yes. 1 of every 500 or so. In fact, I have to repair/re-glue a casein pen that I made. I think in most cases the paint in the barrel and on the tube wasn't completely dry - not positive though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom