Unknown wood it old but I don’t know how old.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curtis

I got this for my mom uncles house after he passed away a few years ago. I don't know what it is but it looks like maybe a burl. I'm thinking of cutting it and making a pen form it. What do you think?
IMG_3828.jpeg
IMG_3827.jpeg
IMG_3826.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Yes, Looks like a burl. But hard to tell without dimensions for suggestions on cutting and turning. A small crack in the last photo - may be an element to correct with some CA. If it was me, I'd turn it! It would be a very nice token for your past family. Be well!

duncsuss

If you want to know how it's going to look, why not just sand the flattest face and mist it (with water or DNA or mineral spirits)? There's really no way of knowing until you break through the patina and uneven cuts.

I'd start at 120, 180, 220 or 240, 320, 400. (Sand both X and Y directions before moving on to the next grit just like you would with a pen barrel.)

Once you can see what you've got, you can make an informed decision what to do with it.

Drewby108

My dad has a piece of English walnut that looks remarkably similar. Not burl, just a crazy grained spot that was near a bunch of branches and knots. It's lighter, but with a decade or two added, I could see it being the same color.

Just a thought for the species

Top Bottom