Unique Prize - question...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I received the following PM from Scott regarding the prize he'd like to donate. I think it's a great idea for an auction, but thought I'd best check to see if it's a great idea, before he sacrifices part of his collection (for something that may not be desired by everyone).

Let me know what you think. His PM is below:
----------------------------------------------------

I have been thinking about what to donate for the Bash. I have all kinds of pen blanks, and I could put together a pretty good package. But I was thinking of offering something else a bit different, and I thought I would see what you thought.

As part of learning about making pens, Russ Fairfield suggested I get some fountain pens and learn to use them. I found I love good fountain pens, and I even gathered a modest collection of them. I was thinking I might donate one or two special pens as prizes. Do you think this might go over?

I have two in mind. One is vintage, and one is modern. The vintage is a very special Parker 51 in chocolate, that has been restored by Richard Binder, and ground by him to an italic nib. I'd put the value at about $200. The modern is a Namiki Vanishing Point in Raden. Again worth about $200. I would be willing to donate both if there is a good chance they would go to someone who would appreciate them. Is there a contest that will attract those making advanced pens? Is this something that would be of interest? Ask around and let me know.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I would think that the Beautiful Pen and FreeStyle both qualify as contests where the pen would be appreciated. How about the youth contest as a start to a collection? Im not sure you can guarantee that anyone who wins would appreciate the pens if they are not collectors, Im sure that they would be accepted graciously regardless.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Well said Mike. I have to agree. These pens as prizes, should go to select contest winners who have an interest in FPs/ advanced pen making. I think it's too generous to pass up the offer. Thanks to Scott!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Any pen that has been tuned by Richard Binder should command more than $200.

While I realize I have become identified with the auctions and some will think I am merely trying to "feather my own bed", remember the proceeds of those auctions go to run IAP, not to Ed Brown.

If we use them in an auction, someone is paying their own money for the right to own them. That person WILL hold the pens dear--as they cost the person dearly.

Anyone can enter a contest, many leave the IAP within two years of winning the contests. Do they keep an interest in pens?? We don't really know. So, in spite of the fact we do NOT know who would get these exceptional pens---we are willing to be guided by blind faith that the recipient will treasure them.

As someone who gives away some very valuable "freebees", I can tell you most people who get something for free will identify it as having zero value. In five years, it is very likely to be just "some pen I won in a contest on-line"---you want it??

FWIW,

Ed

Last edited:

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I am 1000% with Ed on this. These need to be in the auction where they will command a hefty price to benefit IAP. I have no interest in fancy fountain pens. If I won one in a contest, I would be happy to have it but it would not mean nearly as much to me as someone else. I don't particularly care for fountain pens and would not be able to appreciate them for what they are.

Buzzzz4

I would also agree on this being an auction item. I would venture a guess that a small percentage of the turners on here are fountain pen collectors. Now to scrounge up some change for that auction.....

Top Bottom