Unicorn Matrix Custom Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

It's been a while since I made or showed a pen. I found a matrix blank that I liked, had a break and thought I would see if I could still make a custom pen.
I really liked the colors and love to use matrix blanks. Front end with an Extra Fine Unicorn Bock Gilded #6 nib. Hope you like it. Enjoyed making it.

As I write, what is really on my mind at the moment is the hope and a wish for each one of you and your families. I hope that you have been healthy, safe, spared or recovered from an illness to whom we have lost many and those who continue to suffer even after surviving. I have hope that things will improve and to a great extent we go on.

Kind Regards, Doc :)
Unicorn Matrix Fountain Pen_01.JPGUnicorn Matrix Fountain Pen_03.JPGUnicorn Matrix Fountain Pen_04.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

That's beautiful! I am glad you made it and thank you for showing us. Please enlighten me on why it's called a matrix blank.

Thank you even more for your kind thoughts. I think we all want to get past this mess, no matter if we agree on the measures to do so. Let's hope we can re-learn kindness when we get back out there amongst each other again.

magpens

@sorcerertd
Please enlighten me on why it's called a matrix blank.

Todd, if you don't mind me answering that question ....

There is a mathematical entity called a "matrix", which simply means a rectangular or 2-D array of things arranged in a regular pattern.
The array is usually numbers or symbols, but generalizing, it could be a rectangular array of anything eg. colored squares !

In this particular case, we picture the cylindrical surface of the pen blank to be unfurled, or planarized, with an array of colored squares on it.

Of course, the word matrix is used in a non-mathematical sense as well to mean a "surrounding environment".
As an example, we can speak of a collection of fossils being discovered by a prospector in a matrix of limestone rock.

sorcerertd

@sorcerertd

Todd, if you don't mind me answering that question ....

There is a mathematical entity called a "matrix", which simply means a rectangular or 2-D array of things arranged in a regular pattern.
The array is usually numbers or symbols, but generalizing, it could be a rectangular array of anything eg. colored squares !

In this particular case, we picture the cylindrical surface of the pen blank to be unfurled, or planarized, with an array of colored squares on it.

Of course, the word matrix is used in a non-mathematical sense as well to mean a "surrounding environment".
As an example, we can speak of a collection of fossils being discovered by a prospector in a matrix of limestone rock.
Thanks Mal. I don't mind at all. I figured it had something to do with the pattern, but had not heard of that term. One thing I was sure of is that it wasn't related to the movie. :D

TDahl

Very nice Doc. Thank you for sharing the photos of you fabulous pen and your sentimental thoughts as well. Be safe!

jttheclockman

Doc good to see your work again. I have a few different colors in that type blank that I have not tried. Your pen is an inspiration. Very well done. Hopefully I can get one done soon. Your sentiments are well received and yes I lost a sister this past Dec to this horrible virus and the whole experience was unreal. Stay safe one and all.

Top Bottom