Uneven Gluboost ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

montmill

This is piece of walnut root stock. Three coats of medium followed by four coats of thin with activator between each coat.

Left overnight to cure and this is how it looked after going through the Zona grits wet.

It did not look like this before the Zona.

Thinking I may sand off and start with thin first and see if I get better coverage unless someone else has an idea.

walnut.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NJturner

I am not sure what you are seeing, as the picture doesn't really show anything unusual. But I will say that working with Gluboost, I find I start with thin (orange) - one or two coats max, then two or three coats of medium fill and finish (blue label), then one or two coats of thin again. Then sand and polish. I find that using the thin first seals the blank, then using medium fill and finish levels the blank, then the added thin makes the finish richer and shinier. I have found that the GluBoost needs a much tighter control of application than plain CA or else you end up needing to level the finish with a rougher sandpaper to get it even and leveled down. I use a white EVA Craft foam square to apply the finish, medium turning speed. Apply thin, then medium, then thin. Let cure overnight. Level finish down with 600 paper, then sand through 2000. Then polish with liquid polish (Meguiars PlastX), then buff with blue polishing compound. This seems to work for me. Hope this helps.
Kevin

JohnU

I can't see it as well as you but it looks cloudy along the one end. I'm wondering if moisture didn't soak in the wood along the ends while wet sanding and get under your finish.

I apply like Kevin if the wood is soft or has open grain, only I use #0000 extra fine steel wool after the finish is applied to level out any ridges and then finish with micro mesh and buffing.

mg_dreyer

David,

I agree with the above on the picture. I am sorry. I take it from your comments the zona paper was wet? In general you should be able to get away with minor wet sanding after the last coat. The concern always the ends where moisture can go in under the bushings. I never wet sand wood - independent of the finish.

Please let us/me know your results after you try again. I like to know what works just to keep up on GluBoost usage.

Thanks,
Mark

leehljp

Member Liaison
It could be the lighting, but it looks like you may have sanded through the finish to the wood in a spot or two. Sanding is a very subjective science to most people. What one considers a "light touch" in sanding - can be rather "heavy" use to another.

Are you using calipers to measure your pen blank diameters? You can measure your CA/Glu-Boost build up with calipers also. IF enough is not built up, you can easily sand through the finish in spots, even with super fine sandpaper.

montmill

Thanks Lee, that's what I thought at first too until I ran my finger along the finish and there is a solid finish all the way across the blank. If you see most of the discoloration in on the right while there's a tiny bit on the left too. I turned this originally between centers as I don't have bushings for this kit. I always leave them a little proud knowing I'll be sanding down. At his point I'm not sure where they are because I've put three different finishes on and removed them. I did it a fourth time today and tomorrow will use steel wool, Zona and Novus 3 step. The only thing different will be no wet sanding with Zona. I'll post the results tomorrow.

montmill

Here is the blank after sitting overnight.
gluboost one.jpg

Here is the blank after polishing with stainless steel, Zona, Novis and Ren Wax. Notice I'm picking up some fuzz from my Scott blue shop towels.
gluboost two.jpg

And this the finished pen.
Sierra Vista Walnut Root Wad Gluboost Finish.JPG

Moisture was the culprit. Thank you all.

Top Bottom