Under the knife tomorrow...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hi guys,
As some of you already know, I have a couple of fights on my hands. But I (and my wonderful wife) think Ive won most of the rounds so far..
I have two cancers...one is Multiple Myeloma and the other is Bowel cancer.
Ive had radiotherapy and 3 rounds of chemo for the Myeloma and it is being held at bay. My blood levels are acceptable.
This means that the Bowel team can take over for a bit, so tomorrow morning 7.30am I go in for surgery to remove the tumour and hopefully all the lurgy with it. I'm getting what is called a Hartmanns Procedure. They reckon I'll be in for about a week.

I'm already in good hands, so please just keep my good lady in your thoughts as she is a reluctant motorway or night time driver....

Cheers for now

Mmmmmm.......they are removing a section of colon.........lol, perhaps a special blank or two .....????๐Ÿ˜€

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks for the update Steven. I will be looking forward to your next report. Thoughts and prayers for you and your Mrs. during the ordeal.
FWIW, my cousin had this procedure on his colon, and is doing well. YOU will do the same. Cheers for now!

howsitwork

The therapy available is marvellous so all will go well I trust. Keeping you both in mind this evening and tomorrow. Haven't I seen you on mad modder site??

regards Ian

Randy328

Good vibes and funkadelic grooves headed your way! It looks like you still got a bit of humor going on, thats always a positive thing! Best of luck through this!

MRDucks2

Prayers for all. My brother in law had the same bowel procedure with great success. A slow and sore recovery but no issues afterward.

I've not had bowel surgery, but a few years back I had a strangulated umbilical hernia... went in to ER on a Sunday night via ambulance, emergency surgery the next morning... they gutted me like a fish (I have an 8 or 9 inch scar along side my belly button), took out about 6 inches of bowel and stapled me back together... I spent 7 days in the hospital with nothing to eat except ice and it gave me the hiccups every time I ate some... hiccups with your belly cut open ain't fun, but after a week I was up and around with no problems afterwards.... I'm sure same will be for you....

Best wishes for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.

SteveG

I wish you well, with a speedy and full recovery. Both of you are in my prayers.

On the lighter side:
And about the possibility of pen blanks from your surgery leftovers...if anyone is capable of working that type of blank, it must be you! Perhaps an entry in the upcoming bash? :eek: ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ–‹

jttheclockman

I was thinking of you the other day when i checked in here and was going to ask if anyone heard from you. Good to see you posting and keeping us up to date. None of this sounds like it is any fun and I hope things go well. Spent my share of time in hospitals for myself and both my parents and the things you see are tough. All the prayers and well wishes coming your way. Take it slow. Keep us informed whenever possible.

PenPal

Hi Steven and Karen reminiscing just a couple of days ago at the Australian War Memorial with our eldest daughter Joanne now 63 yrs old from Western Australia. Please know Wilma and me we have been through three major cancers and now i have restricted use of my feet ,legs with continual ulcers on both feet. Knowing this and how it is to be even temporally restricted mate you have our prayers and best wishes for you both. Tough stuff mate but the tough get going and trust time and care will heal you and protect Karen during this current bout.

Kindest regards Peter and Wilma.

moke

I wish you the best Skip---I have a friend that had a similar situation, I think, I'm no medical expert. That was about 7 or 8 years ago....he's been cancer free since and looking good. Trust in your Drs. and do most of what they tell you!!! Keep us informed we are all pulling for you!

FGarbrecht

Hi guys,
As some of you already know, I have a couple of fights on my hands. But I (and my wonderful wife) think Ive won most of the rounds so far..
I have two cancers...one is Multiple Myeloma and the other is Bowel cancer.
Ive had radiotherapy and 3 rounds of chemo for the Myeloma and it is being held at bay. My blood levels are acceptable.
This means that the Bowel team can take over for a bit, so tomorrow morning 7.30am I go in for surgery to remove the tumour and hopefully all the lurgy with it. I'm getting what is called a Hartmanns Procedure. They reckon I'll be in for about a week.

I'm already in good hands, so please just keep my good lady in your thoughts as she is a reluctant motorway or night time driver....

Cheers for now

Mmmmmm.......they are removing a section of colon.........lol, perhaps a special blank or two .....????๐Ÿ˜€
Best wishes to you and your family!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Wow....I'm touched by all the well wishes and sentiments. Thank you, they mean a lot.

Surgery went as planned last Tuesday and i was released on Sunday. I got quite ill on Sunday night and Monday morning and had to pop in again while they fixed me up. They decided on the day to do open surgery instead of keyhole, so i now have a beaut of a scar from my breastbone to my groin.
Getting used to the stoma is probably the hardest bit for me. However, the post op sound effects into the bag have proven hilarious at times, especially as you have zero control.๐Ÿ˜‰

I just need good test results to show they cut it all out and then i restart my chemo for the Myeloma in 3 weeks time.

Just as an interesting point. I have a condition (not an ailment) called Dextro Cardia whith Situs Inversus
It just means that all my internal bits are a mirror image to the norm. Its pretty rare so my surgeon asked to record the procedure and one of his assistants is submitting an article to the BMJ. (British Medical Journal)
๐Ÿ˜‰
I'm at home now with my feet up trying not to cough ๐Ÿ˜จ
Thanks again.
Steven and Karen ๐Ÿ˜Š

Top Bottom