Umatilla, Florida says hello

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Garry Hirsch

Hi to all,

I am interested in turning but have not yet purchased a lathe, although I'm leaning towards the Delta 46-460. I'm somewhat confused by the terminology so I'm doing a lot of research on the internet regarding pen turning primarily. Is there a beginner pen turning forum or internet location to help green novices like me? Thanks for all of your help in advance,
Garry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CaptG

Welcome to the forum from Michigan. This forum is the best, from beginner to advanced, you can find what you need here.

robutacion

Hi CaptG,

You certainly reached the right place, my friend...!

Welcome to the group, and good luck with your search.

Remember, don't be shy in asking questions, we all went trough the same...!

Cheers
George

Jim15

Welcome Garry. If there is a Woodcraft store near you they have penturning classes that will get you started. At least the ones around the Cincinnati do.

PaulDoug

Welcome. You can't go wrong with that Delta lathe. It is my second lathe. I also have a Nova 1624-44 that I have had several years. I haven't touched the Nova since I bought the Delta. I'm thinking about selling the Nova.

By the way I live just about 30 miles from Umatilla but it is in Oregon.

seamus7227

Welcome aboard from Wichita Falls, TX, here is where I throw a wrench in the suggestions, I say go for a Jet 1220VS lathe, Amazon.com sells them for a great price under what you would pay in the stores and there is usually free shipping! and no tax, or at least none for me.

Fred

Greetings, Garry, and Welcome to the Forum.

One good piece of advice would be for you to leasrn the use of the 'Search' function here, and to check out all the 'stuff' in the Forum's Library.

Ask questions if you don't find or understand what you do find there.

erbymcbrayer

Hello Garry, I am located in Apopka. I have a daughter and her family in Umatilla. I have been turning for 4 years and enjoy it very much. I have been retired for 5 years. If I can be of any help , let me know.

Garry Hirsch

John it was your review that has me leaning toward the delta.
Hi Gerry and welcome to IAP. Lots of good info hear about pen turning, bowls, etc. I have the Delta lathe you are considering and like it a lot. In fact, did a product review, you can find it here ..http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58041
I found it at Tool King.com for 579.66 with free shipping. Any body know Tool King good or bad ??

Top Bottom