Ultra thin pen blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CjG78

I'm not sure if this qualifies for this section but I'll post it here for you all to have a look and discuss.
Recently I received some ultra thin blanks as extras in an order from a fellow caster in Australia. He saves the offcuts and trimmings and sends them out as 'challenge blanks'.
They are 10 mm, half the size of regular blanks. By the time you carefully and slowly drill them on the lathe (impossible any other way), you're left with a very thin blank which once it is rounded, it's at thickness for a slimline.
I had a wet towel on hand to cool the drill bit every
20200329_180854.jpg
20200329_183129.jpg
20200329_205837.jpg
inch i drilled to prevent overheating and cracks. Slow process but fun and rewarding. To be able to make a nice pen from a twig is very satisfying.
Thanks for looking!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

As much as I like the pen I'm more impressed with your craftsmanship. Sometimes I have trouble drilling a hole in a 2"x2" piece of material. I also like the name of the blank "Challenge Blank". I might have to steal that term because it sounds so much better than "I'm Too Cheap to Throw it Away". Very nice job from start to "Finish"!

henry1164

Would you be able to reveal the name/company of your "fellow caster in Australia"? From the looks of your results this blank material is in the upper tier of what I have seen in my limited time turning. Great workmanship on this one.

CjG78

Would you be able to reveal the name/company of your "fellow caster in Australia"? From the looks of your results this blank material is in the upper tier of what I have seen in my limited time turning. Great workmanship on this one.
Thanks! Fox fire turnings. Find them on Facebook. Excellent products

Top Bottom