Ultra-Shear Mandrel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Paul in OKC

Jim, I remember a few months ago that you wrote you didn't want to have to learn anything new. Did you change your mind? 😁 There is a more accurate way, and much more simple with less complications. It's not that one has to learn anything new, it is that one just needs to "unlearn" complicated things. ;)

If you do not want to use a mandrel saver type of live center in the tail stock, here is a Whiteside that does NOT use that type of tail stock:

Whiteside makes top of the line router bits. Their machining is excellent.
I am a regular mandrel guy for most of my turning, have been for 20+ years. Some between centers. I like the idea of this more than anything I have seen, myself, to be able to shorten the mandrel when needed. I like the live center, and still do not believe that 'misaligned' tailstock (minor misalignment) causes issues. Someone mentioned above about the ends being square, I think this gives more trouble than we think for many.

shastastan

I decided to give it a try. I haven't turned any pens using the TBC method. The mandrels that I have used and mandrel saver have always had run out and vibration. I'm using a Laguna revo 12-16. The ultra shear has solved the problem. Yes, it's not cheap, but the quality is the usual Woodpecker quality. I didn't buy their bushings package, but bought some stainless steel bushings for slimline pens instead. One place where I tried to buy was out of stock so I bought on Amazon for $154. With Covid going and being close to Christmas, shipping is "iffy" to get things in a week or less. I decided to make some stuff a little late, but pens can be done pretty quickly and are a good choice of "last minute" gifts. I'm glad that I bought the ultra shear mandrel setup.

sbeebs66

So for those of you who have bought the ultra-shear mandrel, how are they. also would it be worth investing in their bushings or are normal ones you get from PSI/Rockler/ect. work well enough? Thanks.

RobS

I love mine. I'm glad I bought it. I would buy it again. I have the few bushing they have that apply to the kits I make. But I also use it with the other pai bushings that they don't have.

Top Bottom