Ugly, Ugly, UGLY!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scott

Somebody made a mistake! Probably Mike. :biggrin: I actually got asked to do the Ugly Pen Contest again! (You'd think they would learn!) :tongue:

I will post the rules from last year in the next entry. Please take a look and critique them for me. If we want to change the contest, or just smooth out the rules, this is our chance to do it. Please jump in and give me your two cents. It's hard to do this contest when nobody will lower themselves to talk to you!

Thanks!

Scott.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scott

Here are the rules from last year:

The Ugly Pen Contest

Welcome to the Ugly Pen Contest! My name is Scott Greaves, and I am in charge of this contest. If you have any question or comment about this contest, please either send me a message through the IAP site, or an E-Mail at ugly@penturners.org. I made up the rules for this contest, and I would be happy to make up some new ones to get myself out of a jam if needed!

This is not a serious contest, although in many ways it may resemble one. It is a contest for serious penturners to use to blow off some steam! Reading anything more into it can lead down that dark and dangerous path to madness!

There will be judges, though you won't know who they are; and there will be prizes, though I'm not sure what they might be as of yet (or if anybody would want them)! Foremost, this contest involves showing strange and disgusting things that somewhat resemble pens, so that we can all make rude comments to each other about them! And with that, the rules:

1) Your entry must be a pen, i.e. If you could bring yourself to handle it, it would theoretically write.
2) You may submit up to two entries, although I can't imagine why you would want to admit to making this kind of mistake more than once!
3) Entries are submitted by E-Mailing up to three images of the pen-like item, with or without accompanying story, to ugly@penturners.org. I prefer that you name your entry, but if you don't I will make up a suitably horrid name. Your entry must include both your screen name and your real name, and your mailing address. This is only for the purpose of awarding prizes. I will not post any identifying information here besides your screen name. Don't make us come hunting for you!
4) Entries will be accepted from Tuesday the 2nd of February until Midnight (The Witching Hour) Eastern time on Tuesday the 9th of February. Winners will then be posted on the 11th of February. The judge's decision will be final!
5) Prizes will be awarded in three categories:
a) Worst looking normal pen. This is the category for those who tried to make a nice pen, but it turned out ugly!
b) Most disgusting pen. This is for those of you with the perverse sense of humor, but please, I don't want to see a whole string of Ca-ca pens, and no human reproductive organ pens! Remember, this is a family site!
c) Just Butt Ugly Pen. This is kind of the all-encompassing category for the entry that is truly just the ugliest around!
6) A single entry may win more than one prize, in other words, winning in one category does not disqualify the entry from winning in another category.
7) All entry images and comments become the property of the IAP, to use, or dispose of, as they wish. Yes, blackmail a few years from now is a definite possibility!
8) All entries will be posted by me in this forum. You may notice that this forum is locked, and only I can post entries here. Have patience! I am not that fast.
9) This year we have decided to provide a separate forum for your comments about these travesties. That forum is called the Trash Talking forum, and we encourage you to post your rude and offensive comments (what other kind would there be about ugly pens?) there. And yes, there is a contest for the best Trash Talking comment about an Ugly Pen entry!

Now, lets start seeing some entries!

To Enter This Contest!: Ugly@penturners.org

Link To the Trash Talking Contest!: http://www.penturners.org/forum/show...836#post973836

Scott

Everybody does like to "discuss" the entries in this contest, and I encourage that. Would it be better to have the discussion mixed in with the entries? Or should I keep the contest locked and have a second topic for discussion? I think I am still inclined to have contestants send me their entries for me to post as I can require all the information needed to send prizes at the same time.

Remember, these are last year's rules, and I would be removing the mention of the Trash Talking contest for this year.

Thanks!

Scott.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Everybody does like to "discuss" the entries in this contest, and I encourage that. Would it be better to have the discussion mixed in with the entries? Or should I keep the contest locked and have a second topic for discussion? I think I am still inclined to have contestants send me their entries for me to post as I can require all the information needed to send prizes at the same time.

Remember, these are last year's rules, and I would be removing the mention of the Trash Talking contest for this year.

Thanks!

Scott.

Last year (and this year) I created a seperate thread for freestyle comments. I wanted to keep the entry thread clean. Some followed my suggestion and used it, A LOT, did not take the time to care that there was a thread for comments, and commented in the entry thread anyway. I imagine it will work that way again because most don't read they just go to commenting but I'm going to do it again anyway.

Scott

I have updated the rules, and unless there are some tweaks, these will be the rules for the Ugly Pen Contest for 2011!

The Ugly Pen Contest

To Enter This Contest!: THE ENTRY FORM

Welcome to the Ugly Pen Contest! My name is Scott Greaves, and I am in charge of this contest. If you have any question or comment about this contest, please either send me a message through the IAP site, or an E-Mail at ugly@penturners.org. I made up the rules for this contest, and I would be happy to make up some new ones to get myself out of a jam if needed!

This is not a serious contest, although in many ways it may resemble one. It is a contest for serious penturners to use to blow off some steam! Reading anything more into it can lead down that dark and dangerous path to madness! Some have suggested over the years that I helped found the IAP just so I could run this Ugly Pen Contest. I will not stoop to comment on those obviously plausible accusations!

Foremost, this contest involves showing strange and disgusting things that somewhat resemble pens, so that we can all make rude comments to each other about them! This year there will be no judges. I don't have that many friends left that I can risk loosing them by making them judge these atrocities! So this year YOU will be the judges! That's right, at the end of the submission period I will set up a poll, and through your votes you will decide who has the ugliest pens! And with that, the rules:

1) Your entry must be a pen, i.e. If you could bring yourself to handle it, it would theoretically write.
2) You may submit up to two entries, although I can't imagine why you would want to admit to making this kind of mistake more than once!
3) Entries are submitted by completing this entry form: THE ENTRY FORM! You must include at least one image, or up to three images, of the pen-like item, with or without accompanying story. I encourage you to include a story – we like to watch you squirm! I also prefer that you name your entry, but if you don't I will make up a suitably horrid name. The entry form will require you to include both your screen name and your real name, and your mailing address. This is only for the purpose of awarding prizes. I will not post any identifying information here besides your screen name. Entries posted on this forum will be deleted. You must use THE ENTRY FORM to submit an entry. Don't make us come hunting for you!
4) Entries will be accepted from Monday the 1st of February until Midnight (The Witching Hour) Eastern time on Saturday the 12th of February. The Ugly Pen Poll will then be posted by Noon on Sunday the 13th of February (Lucky 13th!). You will then have until Midnight (again, The Witching Hour) on Saturday February 19th to vote in the poll. Winners will be announced by Noon on Sunday the 20th of February. Your decision will be final! In the unlikely case of a tie, I will flip a coin, read some tea leaves, or maybe just make a wild guess to decide the winner.
5) Prizes will be awarded in three categories:
a) Worst Looking Normal Pen. This is the category for those who tried to make a nice pen, but it turned out ugly!
b) Most Disgusting Pen. This is for those of you with the perverse sense of humor, but please, I don't want to see a whole string of Ca-ca pens, and no human reproductive organ pens! Remember, this is a family site!
c) Just Butt Ugly Pen. This is kind of the all-encompassing category for the entry that is truly just the ugliest around!
Please note that THE ENTRY FORM will require you to choose if you are entering for the a) Worst Looking Normal Pen or for the b) Most Disgusting Pen category, or both. All entries will be considered for the c) Just Butt Ugly Pen category!
6) A single entry may win more than one prize, in other words, winning in one category does not disqualify the entry from winning in another category.
7) All entry images and comments become the property of the IAP, to use, or dispose of, as they wish. Yes, blackmail a few years from now is a definite possibility!
8) All entries will be posted by me in this forum after I have received them by means of http://www.penturners.orgTHE ENTRY FORM. Have patience! I am not that fast. I will get your entries posted as quickly as I am able.
9) You may comment on the entries that I post here, but do not post entries here yourself, and please do not re-post entries with your comment, although you may include one of the entry photos to demonstrate a point (or just to gross people out!).

Now, lets start seeing some entries!

To Enter This Contest!: THE ENTRY FORM

Scott.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott

Hi Andrew!

Yep, we're still working on the entry form. By the way, do you think I'm too subtle about mentioning THE ENTRY FORM in the rules? ;-)

I do like the Ugly Pen Contest! Too much seriousness is, well, too much seriousness!!!

Scott.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Scott, Your link in your rules is now working! Check out the form and let me know if you see anything that needs to be changed/fixed. Be sure to run it through the paces and submit a photo!

Scott

Scott

Hmmm, that posts the link to the picture (just borrowing the pic from Bitshird), but it doesn't show the picture. Is there an easy way to post so it shows the picture? Let me try something else.

Scott.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Scott, either enclose the link with the IMG tags or for easier use, use the yellow box with the mountain in it (next to the globe) at the top of the reply box and paste the URL in there.

8896.jpg

Scott

Please disregard this post. I am testing the posting capabilities using the results from the entry form.

Scott.

xz1

The first in a long line of worsening experiments.

Attachments

• 8896.jpg
    8896.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 3f1f.jpg
    3f1f.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 68
  • bb14.jpg
    bb14.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 77

Scott

Please disregard this post. I am testing the posting capabilities using the results from the entry form.

Scott.

xz1

The first in a long line of worsening experiments.

8896.jpg

3f1f.jpg

bb14.jpg

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
No need to use the add attachment or advances, Andrew. Just use the yellow mountain box and paste it in there. Actually, that is the preferred method because your method actually uploads a copy of the image from the Content Server to the Forum Server whereas using the yellow box simply displays what is already on the Content Server.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Ugly, Ugly, UGLY!!! - International Association of Penturners_1296251634093..jpg
    Ugly, Ugly, UGLY!!! - International Association of Penturners_1296251634093..jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 142

Scott

OK, I have it figured out now. The little yellow mountain box works great! I am ready to go now. If you haven't noticed the Ugly Pen Contest is now moved over to the public forum, and is good to go now. Thanks for your help!

Scott.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Scott,

Do you want to allow folks to not enter their private data if they choose not to as I did with the photo contest form? If so, please let me know so I can make the changes.

Scott

Hi Curtis!

If Jeff feels the change is needed to meet the site's privacy guidelines, then make the change. Otherwise I'm fine as is.

Scott.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Prizes for Ugly pen:
Beartoothwoods Gift cert: $25
Little River Gift Cert: $25
Landfill Lumber box of blanks:$50
Wood Safari Gift Cert $50
Nava2uni box of blanks: $75
Lee Valley Gift Cert: $50
Leap box of blanks: $75

Distribute these any way you wish, Scott. Just let us know who should get what and we will "make it happen"
----------the "magic team"

Scott

Beartoothwoods Gift cert: $25
Little River Gift Cert: $25
Landfill Lumber box of blanks:$50
Wood Safari Gift Cert $50
Nava2uni box of blanks: $75
Lee Valley Gift Cert: $50
Leap box of blanks: $75

Hi Ed!

Unless I'm missing something (which I probably am) this doesn't add up to three prizes for each of three categories, or nine prizes. Are some of these multiples? Just wondering. Thanks!

Scott.

Top Bottom