U.S. Navy ship deck wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I'm looking for a source that sells wood off of WWII ships. I've looked all over the internet without luck. Do any members of the IAP know of such a "store" that might be able to offer more than just one ships deck wood? I've found pieces of the Constitution and have a feeler out for another ships wood that was recently posted on this site, but that's it. Any help/ideas are appreciated.

Tom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
The USS New Jersey sells Teak wood from the deck of the ship. They have a store onboard. Try battleshipnewjersey.org

The blanks are roughly 4" x 5" I got 4 blanks from it if I recall correctly.

Last edited:

Kenny Durrant

It's not a WWII but the USS Constitution has a gift shop that sells pieces as well. The sign on the barrel that they were in said that some thought pieces of a successful ship would bring them "Good Luck". The pieces were very irregular in shape so when I was there I got to pick the ones I could make blank out of. The next batch I called and told the woman what I was doing and needed and she did a great job picking them out.

showcaser

I was just in Boston. The USS Constitution museum had to quit selling the wood. I was told that people were using their COA's to represent what people were making from the material. I guess people were trying to return or exchange items made by others. They do sell pens made by a Maine penturner and a $500 clock made using wood from the ship. I guess the moral of the story is don't use other people COA's as your own
Regards Patrick

Kenny Durrant

Wow! I use the COA for the material. What good is the material without the COA? If I was "Them" and someone want to return an item, I would've given the person the $5 for the cost of the wood and kept the pen. I understand the importance of customer service but people that scam off of that need to be told no. I don't want to get any further off topic so I'll stop here.

showcaser

I retain all COA's for provenance of the material. I do not use other's COA's to represent my work from the materials. This situation just re-enforces my thoughts on the matter.

I still have some of the USS California decking and could give you a couple blanks.

Thanks Karl, that's a great offer. How about we swap blanks. I've got quite a bit of Koa that I can make into blanks and send them to you in exchange or I just got some burl Walnut yesterday that I could also send you in exchange. Let me know if this works and we'll move forward. Thanks again- Tom

Mariner1

Sorry about getting this so late, but am on the tug boat now. When I get home on vacation I would be happy to chop off half of the 2 foot long piece I have and send it to you. No need to swap. I will still have enough to make a few blanks for myself as needed.

Sorry about getting this so late, but am on the tug boat now. When I get home on vacation I would be happy to chop off half of the 2 foot long piece I have and send it to you. No need to swap. I will still have enough to make a few blanks for myself as needed.

Thanks Karl. I sent you a PM this morning with all the info. Thanks again for this very nice offer- Tom

Top Bottom