Tycoon with gold leaf over ebonite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PatrickR

PatrickR

C316F40E-66E3-43F2-9C83-0D40D1AE13B3.jpeg
913EF0F1-F0AE-4F8F-9FA0-43BE5DF00327.jpeg
Brad
I purchased a starter set of CE pens from PSI a few years ago. This is the first of four. This is a long pen, over 6" but without deleting the clip there is no way to shorten it. (And I like clips.
it is 23 kt red gold water gilded on ebonite. The finish is dipped lacquer.
First use of ebonite for me. Smells bad but turns nicely. it's not perfect but acceptable. there is some black showing through in a few spots but I don't mind. Water gilding doesn't like sharp edges but gives the highest shine.
C&C, questions welcomed.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pierre---

I thought water gilding implied the use of chalk, rabbit skin glue and bole. Yours does not look like it has those primers. Would you share your process?
Nice pen anyway!

PatrickR

I thought water gilding implied the use of chalk, rabbit skin glue and bole. Yours does not look like it has those primers. Would you share your process?
Nice pen anyway!
Thanks Pierre.
you are correct in its use on picture frames etc., so on porous surfaces. I am experienced with it's use on glass and that's how I did it here. A very clean surface, gelatin dissolved in water with a drop of soap to ensure the water flows without beading. I worked with the parts on a rotisserie, size, put a loose leaf on its leading edge and start the rotation, allow to dry and burnish. Then repeat. Gelatin is a fairly strong adhesive once it dries hard. In glass work pumice is used to remove the excess.
The next one I do I am going to expose the ebonite as wear points before dipping. Similar to a look I've seen done with urushi.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Thanks Pierre.
you are correct in its use on picture frames etc., so on porous surfaces. I am experienced with it's use on glass and that's how I did it here. A very clean surface, gelatin dissolved in water with a drop of soap to ensure the water flows without beading. I worked with the parts on a rotisserie, size, put a loose leaf on its leading edge and start the rotation, allow to dry and burnish. Then repeat. Gelatin is a fairly strong adhesive once it dries hard. In glass work pumice is used to remove the excess.
The next one I do I am going to expose the ebonite as wear points before dipping. Similar to a look I've seen done with urushi.

EXCELLENT pen finish! I have often wondered how building would look on a pen.

And I like your idea in bold above!

Thanks for posting this!

Top Bottom