Two part epoxy for blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BarrierBob

Just a question for casters. I have use alumilite for casting blanks and had great luck. Recently tried some off brand epoxy from Amazon to make some coasters. Went ok, had some left over so poured some blanks . What is the opinion on using craft type epoxy for blanks , compared to Alumilite ? The craft type two part epoxies are cheaper, but is that really worth it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hippie3180

Just a question for casters. I have use alumilite for casting blanks and had great luck. Recently tried some off brand epoxy from Amazon to make some coasters. Went ok, had some left over so poured some blanks . What is the opinion on using craft type epoxy for blanks , compared to Alumilite ? The craft type two part epoxies are cheaper, but is that really worth it?
The thing I would wonder about is if it would be too soft, or something like that? For example, deep pour epoxy is too soft to turn.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I suspect that more info would be helpful. There are many formulations for epoxies, so to comment on what you want to compare to Alumilite, it would be helpful to know what you are using. As an example, I have used slow curing marine epoxies for some applications, but this is very different than the typical pen blank construction.

BarrierBob

I can say that I used two part epoxy that is designed for crafts. I don't want to say anything bad about these epoxies, just wondered what persons that do blank casting thought. I initially purchased Cookey clear epoxy resin kit on amazon for just doing coasters. The epoxy is a 1 to 1 ratio. The blanks I made from the left-over epoxy seemed to cast well and turn without a problem. I did use a pressure pot after pouring, at about 50 PSI. My intent was not to start pouring blanks from this type epoxy, but it did work. What can be the draw-backs from using this type epoxy, rather than most of the stated casting mediums I see here? I understand that even Alumilite has many differant forulations, depending on what you're doing, or want. I don't plan on getting to full swing casting, I just do it once in a while for fun. I was given some English walnuts by a neighbor that has a ranch that grows them. I made a walnut shell pen for Him and his wife from the walnuts He gave me. I used the left over epoxy I had. They seemed to turn out well. They liked them anyway.

JohnU

My opinion, it really comes down to the individual resin. There are so many out there made for different applications and depths. Alumilite makes both Utethane and Epoxy resins. I've used both with great results. They both have their uses depending on what and how I'm casting. They have a deep pour in both kinds snd I've used and turned both with success. Something to remember… slow curing resins will require a longer curing time. It's only a difference of hours with urethane resin but epoxy deep pour can take several days or weeks to fully cure. What might be soft or flexible once demolding with continue to cure and harden with time. You might have to just experiment with them to see what works best for you.

BarrierBob

Thanks so much for your replies. I like Alumilite clear when I can use it, and probably will in the future. I did have success with the less expensive epoxy , but was just a test. thanks for all replies and information, it always helps.

derekdd

My opinion, it really comes down to the individual resin. There are so many out there made for different applications and depths. Alumilite makes both Utethane and Epoxy resins. I've used both with great results. They both have their uses depending on what and how I'm casting. They have a deep pour in both kinds snd I've used and turned both with success. Something to remember… slow curing resins will require a longer curing time. It's only a difference of hours with urethane resin but epoxy deep pour can take several days or weeks to fully cure. What might be soft or flexible once demolding with continue to cure and harden with time. You might have to just experiment with them to see what works best for you.
In addition to the above wisdom, I would add, temperature makes a difference with cure times for epoxy resins. Here in N. WI, we've had some trouble with curing times if it's not warm enough.

We've had to move our epoxy work into a room in the basement with a space heater during the colder months, otherwise, it doesn't cure correctly. If you live in a warmer clime, likely not an issue.

XanderPen

I will go against the grain on this topic. Abandon epoxy and go with polyester. Once I got used to the timing and chemistry I can say: I will never use epoxy resin for items turned on a lathe again.

****safety tangent is necessary; please do you own research on the chemical reaction taking place in polyester and understand the risks. Only use dry/stabilized wood x polyester. Etc***

You want the polyester w/cobalt set off with MEKp. Befriend someone who does bodywork on corvettes; they will get you up to speed.

Top Bottom