Two of three

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jkirkb94

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkirkb94

This is a cigar pen in Bethlehem Olive Wood. Initially had some problems fitting it together but got it worked out. One of my first attempts at a waterbased polyurethane. About 3-4 coats. Kirk[8D]

20053562335_bow%20cigar.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

opfoto

Great looking pen. I like that combination. BOW and Gold Cigar. Looking forward to doing my first one soon! If I may ask.... What problems did you have?

cigarman

Another nice pen Kirk. I have used the waterbased polyurethane on some tables and shelves I made and was happy with the results but hav'nt tryed it on pens yet. May have to after seeing yours.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Kirk,
Great pen. Stick with the Enduro, and follow Wayne's directions. It is time consuming, but I feel the end result is worth it. Beautiful pens like you make deserve a beautiful finish.

jkirkb94

The problem was with pressing the halves together. I ended up with about a 1/16 to 1/8" space between them. Tried smoothing the twist mech and sanding it shorter without success. Attempted to disassemble using punch tools without success. Evidently my messing around did something and it fit together!?[?] This was the only problem I have ever had with the cigar pen. No major problem with the WB poly. Nice feel to the finish but still would like a higher gloss to the high gloss. Where is a good place to get the Enduro? Kirk[8D]

tipusnr

Good looking pen. Mild critique to follow (actually a matter of choice): It could be the picture but the combination of the flowing longitudinal grain and the slight swelling of the bottom shape makes the pen look overall soft and slightly unbalanced. I've been fighting that myself as I like to put a lot of spindle turning in my pens but find that straight grain usually means a straight pen or adding something to cause a definite visual break in the grain.

Thanks for posting the pen!

wicook

Nice pen, Kirk. You've done a bang-up job on that pen!

It's definintely "a matter of choice," Bill. I like the slight swelling of the bottom barrel on cigars -- whether they're straight grained or not. I think that a slight rounding always looks better than a simple, straight "tube look." To each his own, though. That's why paint artists don't produce stuff that looks the same as what others produce using similar subject matter! [;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom