Two New Woods

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kcimdrib

Kcimdrib

Made these today out of two woods I have never used before. Finished in Melamine Laquer. I quiet like the striped one which is Bocote the other is Amboyna. again Finished with Melamine Laquer.
Hope you like them please feel free to comment.

Attachments

• pen4.jpg
    pen4.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 158
  • pen3.jpg
    pen3.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 164
  • pen2.jpg
    pen2.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 160
  • pen1.jpg
    pen1.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 175
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Nice looking pens !!!

What kit did you use for the pen with Amboyna wood ? . . Is it a twist or a click ?

Kcimdrib

Nice looking pens !!!

What kit did you use for the pen with Amboyna wood ? . . Is it a twist or a click ?
Mal it's a twist mechanism from Beaufort Inks and its called Etesia seems a real good quality movement.

magpens

@Kcimdrib

Thank you, Mike ..... I will check it out on the Beaufort website.

EDIT: . I just had a look and I am impressed. . I like the fact that the brass tube diameter is only 11/32"

Also, I like that the tube length is 2.38", almost the same as the Berea Sierra Click, one of my favorite kits

Last edited:

Kcimdrib

@Kcimdrib

Thank you, Mike ..... I will check it out on the Beaufort website.

EDIT: . I just had a look and I am impressed. . I like the fact that the brass tube diameter is only 11/32"

Also, I like that the tube length is 2.38", almost the same as the Berea Sierra Click, one of my favorite kits
Good luck with it. I have used a few of there kits and the quality is good.

KenB259

You know, I cant remember ever seeing anyone posting anything made from amboyna wood that wasn't from a burl. They probably have, I just don't remember it. I like it.

Joebobber

You know, I cant remember ever seeing anyone posting anything made from amboyna wood that wasn't from a burl. They probably have, I just don't remember it. I like it.
Its Padauk. There are many types of "amboyna burl", but when not a burl it's not amboyna wood. That piece looks like burmese paduak and I bet it smelled wonderful! 2 very nice pens for sure. I really like bocote, but for some reason i get a pickle like smell from it that gives me heartburn.

KenB259

Its Padauk. There are many types of "amboyna burl", but when not a burl it's not amboyna wood. That piece looks like burmese paduak and I bet it smelled wonderful! 2 very nice pens for sure. I really like bocote, but for some reason i get a pickle like smell from it that gives me heartburn.
OK, my mind is now blown !! I had no idea.

Kcimdrib

I wonder if you can get Curry flavour fancy a nice Vindaloo Click Action.

Bats

I really like bocote, but for some reason i get a pickle like smell from it that gives me heartburn.
It seems to vary from one piece to another. I've had some bocote that had a very floral smell - roses, maybe - and others that, yes, smell mildly - or overpoweringly - of pickles.

I wonder if you can get Curry flavour fancy a nice Vindaloo Click Action.
I definitely wouldn't mind turning some currywood.

sorcerertd

I thought the exact same thing as Ken, so this is good to know.

I love Bocote. The grain and color contrast is fantastic, it turns well, and even takes a nice polish with no finish at all. It definitely does smell like pickles when working with it. One of these days I'm going to buy a board and cut it into diagonal grained blanks.

egnald

Very nice pens. I like Bocote also, especially if it is diagonal cut. Very interesting information above regarding Ambonya. According to The Wood Database, Ambonya is the burl from any of the Pterocarpus species, which includes Padauk (African, Andaman, & Burma) along with Muninga, Zitan, and Narra. The name Ambonya is derived from Ambon Island in Indonesia where much of these figured woods are believed to have been initially exported.

Most of my Ambonya burl blanks are very red and came from Narra in Southeast Asia - if not in Laos, then on the border between Laos and Cambodia. I have some Narra blanks as well with a beeswing figure that also came from Laos.

Dave

Kcimdrib

Well thank you for all this information I never realised when I made these pens it would spark off such a conversation. Thanks again.

Top Bottom