Two Modified Slimlines

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kcimdrib

Kcimdrib

Quiet a simple modification and I've never tried to do it before. On these two replacing the refill quite difficult pulling the Nib out a bit of a challenge.
The wood is Oak the finish Friction Polish followed with Microcrystalline Wax.
Hope you like them please comment.

Attachments

• 20211029_145637~2.jpg
    20211029_145637~2.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 152
  • 20211029_145512~2.jpg
    20211029_145512~2.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 145
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

howsitwork

Very neat idea Michael I am assuming the inset "burnt" lines hide the joint and give you more to grip ( as well as the shape )

Kcimdrib

Very neat idea Michael I am assuming the inset "burnt" lines hide the joint and give you more to grip ( as well as the shape )
Grip maybe but there are no joint lines Ian. It's not impossible to separate the nib to get the refill out but as you can imagine there is nothing to grip and this makes it near impossible.
Nevertheless it makes a nice looking pen. Thanks for your comments.

howsitwork

Michael

so why not make a "mini nib section " hiding the joint in one of the burn lines so you have a chunky little nib unit to pull on making extraction easier ?

Alternateively the joint line bslow the clip could become the split point ?

Either way would make life easier if it's that challenging to separate ?

PS I also appreciate the way you encourage feedback and genuinely consider suggestions in the spirit they are offered.

its_virgil

On these two replacing the refill quite difficult pulling the Nib out a bit of a challenge.
Look in the library for my article on "one piece slimline improvements". Problem solved along with a couple of others.
I make these one p;iece slimlines quite often. I turn the blank between centers until round. Then I hold it with my collet chuck and as far as I can. Flip the blank around and drill from other end. The holes meet with no offset. Another problem solved.
Nice pen. Thanks for sharing.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Kcimdrib

Michael

so why not make a "mini nib section " hiding the joint in one of the burn lines so you have a chunky little nib unit to pull on making extraction easier ?

Alternateively the joint line bslow the clip could become the split point ?

Either way would make life easier if it's that challenging to separate ?

PS I also appreciate the way you encourage feedback and genuinely consider suggestions in the spirit they are offered.
Ian
Thank you for your comments always worth reading you make such great Pens.
I think the point of the exercise is to use Slimline Kik and have no split line just one solid piece of wood.
I saw this a long time ago on YouTube so it's not my idea and none of the Videos show changing the refill as being a problem.
Great to hear from you.

Mike

Kcimdrib

Look in the library for my article on "one piece slimline improvements". Problem solved along with a couple of others.
I make these one p;iece slimlines quite often. I turn the blank between centers until round. Then I hold it with my collet chuck and as far as I can. Flip the blank around and drill from other end. The holes meet with no offset. Another problem solved.
Nice pen. Thanks for sharing.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Down
Thanks for the reply I will take a look.
Mike

Kcimdrib

You really need a long drill bit for a smooth hole to remove the end. I tried drilling from both ends and had binding also.
Ken
I have a long drii and it does drill a bit tight ( 6.8 mm ) but great for a standard Slimline . Because of this I open the one end which takes the Nib to 7 mm.
This gives a really nice slidable fit.
Thanks for your good turn.
Mike

Top Bottom