Two different cast pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Butlerwalt66

Butlerwalt66

The Classic is an attempt at an aggregate made with crushed off-cuts from other castings. The Presimo is supposed to be some swirls of two different dyed batches of West System....one white, one black. I'm pouring these into 3/4 pvc, and my swirling skills need a little help.
If anyone has advice about doing "aggregate" castings, I'd welcome your input. I just tried turning a blank filled with mica flakes, which was pretty disastrous. Thanks!

213967b4dc44a21b56b6b84d83b2a195.jpg
d86ab4c267a4c882f418003c19d0330c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I'll agree, what I can see from the pictures the blanks are excellent and your turning is wonderful!

The top middle picture has a small bit of tube showing (try to back paint the tube black - not the blank), but I like the aggregate blanks, very nice.

Thank you for sharing.

Butlerwalt66

Thanks for the nice words- honestly, I was hoping for more translucence with the crushed resin aggregates- I guess mica powder makes thing sorta opaque pretty quickly.

These are pretty much my first attempts, and although I've looked through the library, I still don't know what y'all are adding to your compounds to make them so translucent and shimmery (If the answer is "less mica powder, you dimwit" please let me know. I'm using West System because I have a gallon of it in my cabinet shop (leftover from an exterior millwork project). But if there's something else out there, please let me know.

Top Bottom