Two Churchills for a wedding

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from leehljp

Status
Not open for further replies.

leehljp

Member Liaison
My youngest daughter is getting married on Saturday, May 27 near Hot Springs, AR. She asked me to make her two pens for the wedding (actually 9). The two pens below are for the wedding sign in and for them to sign their marriage license together.

The pens are made out of holly. One has some brown in it and I started to make a new one but my daughter liked the brown character of it, so it stayed.

Today, she said she wanted a pen holder, so what is a dad to do? I made a quick pen holder to hold the caps barely snug. The pens have a dual use now. The guest sign in will be done with the roller ball. The wedding license will be done with the fountain pen - at least that is the current plan.

I also made 7 Sierras out of redwood burl that turned out beautiful. These are used as gifts for the men of the wedding party.

Two Silver Churchills:

58093860-4cfa-0200010A-.jpg

In receptive holder:

58093859-a987-0200019D-.jpg

Pens in place:

58093861-4218-020001FA-.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Hank,
Don't take this the wrong way, but those stands are even more impressive than the pens! I mean, the pens are really pretty, but there's no WAY I could make stands like those! I'm sure both the pens and the stands will be treasured.

Please send our congratulations to your daughter, too!

Enjoy the wedding!

leehljp

Member Liaison
Thanks for the input and kind words everyone.

Jim, Last night when I was almost asleep (2:00 AM) I suddenly got wide awake again with a slap on the forehead - why didn't I take time to put a little angle on it instead of making them vertical? I appreciate your comment about the stand as I have far more confidence in my woodworking than my pen making. Those stands would have looked a LOT better if I had another day to do a real fine finishing job on it.

Skye - That is not for storage. This is for a wedding where people in line need a place to put the pens - and in the case of the fountain pen - no more than a few minutes, one time, while waiting for the pictures to be taken and license to be signed. After that, they will be used like regular pens by the bride and groom [:)].

<b>A quick story on giving your pride and joy daughter away (or son) in a wedding:</b>

As hard as it is to give your child away, or wonder if anyone is good enough for your child, think about this when raising them - A well known Southern Baptist Preacher once said something in a sermon that he learned as a parent: We need to raise our own children to love someone else more than they love us, then we will be doubly blessed with them as they have learned what a "giving kind of love" really is.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Dan,

It was very simple for me. I have been around basic woodworking tools since I was a kid in the mid 50's.

Setup:
I used a sample block of pine first to make sure it would work as I envisioned it. It really helps to do a mock up first. I also set my depth guage on the drill press to stop about 1/4 inch from the bottom.

Procedure:
First I cut two pieces of holly 2 inches by 3 inches, sanded them, and put them on the drill press with a 5/8 inch bit centered over the wood. It is important to clamp the pieces when useing large bits.

I drilled just until the whole 5/8 in diameter was evident in the wood. Did this to both, then removed the 5/8 bit.

Next, I replaced the 5/8ths with a 1/4 inch bit and placed the bit so that it is centered on the edge of the 5/8 circle. This allowed for the clip to fit. A practice mockup in pine is good way to figure out the exact spacing for the particular pen you are making.

Next, get the router out and choose your router bit. I used the following bit below but did not use the full depth of the cut. I stopped it at the bead so that the beveled edge would show rather than the bead.

That bit was purchased at Woodline.com
http://www.woodline.com
While I cannot find the exact bit now, it was very similar to this one:
58109811-476a-006E00FA-.jpg

I also used a 1/8 in roundover bit on the edges of the bottom and in the hole to round the edges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom