Twins almost

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wolf creek knives

My son and daughter in law asked me to make them matching knives but with different handle material. Here's what I came up with. One in Maple and the other in Cherry.

sanmaidamascus.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Very Nice. Now I have a problem. It seems that it's extremely easy for me to get hooked on various things, as in hobbies. I always knew that I needed to stay away from knives because that would be one that would be just as bad as the pens. I finished a couple of knives for a friend and for some reason I didn't get the bug but after seeing these I think I've been bitten. Another friend of mine has been making a few knives and they look good but I knew better than to ask too many questions. Now after this I asked him if he'd give me a quick run down on making them, he said yes, so now it's on! I like the style of yours so if you don't mind, are they kits and if so where did you get them? Not to try to make you feel bad but I don't know where to start and I'm already thing about casting the scales. Thanks

Very Nice. Now I have a problem. It seems that it's extremely easy for me to get hooked on various things, as in hobbies. I always knew that I needed to stay away from knives because that would be one that would be just as bad as the pens. I finished a couple of knives for a friend and for some reason I didn't get the bug but after seeing these I think I've been bitten. Another friend of mine has been making a few knives and they look good but I knew better than to ask too many questions. Now after this I asked him if he'd give me a quick run down on making them, he said yes, so now it's on! I like the style of yours so if you don't mind, are they kits and if so where did you get them? Not to try to make you feel bad but I don't know where to start and I'm already thing about casting the scales. Thanks

Thanks for the compliment Kenny. All of my knives are "kits" as is this one. My back, knees and hands won't allow me to do much forging, plus my target audience is different than the custom makers. I buy through Premium Knife Supply (Payne Brothers) but there are others out there. You might want to pick up a copy of "Blade" magazine. They have a ton of good info on suppliers etc.
This kit is modified from it's original design so if you get involved in kit knives you still need a good set of taps and dies, hardened drill bits and other tools too and if you're interested I can tell you more.
You won't make me feel bad, the more people I can help get started with this en-devour the better. It might just lead you down the forging path and I've seen some fantastic work by members here. Don't hesitate to ask me any questions.

Beautiful work Tom!
I am partial to the rich color of the cherry.

This Cherry came from a friend in Linden California. He's a Cherry grower and had this dead tree and asked me if I wanted it. I got the tree, took to another friend that could mill it for me and this is a piece of it. I thought I was just about out of it but just found 4 more pieces so I've got a lot more. Like you, it always catches my eye.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Those are beautiful I will admit. However, I will comment that if I get a request from my daughter and either/both sons for knives... I will need to do a review of my "will" and get my affairs in order šŸ˜² !

Beautiful.

Top Bottom