Twenty Five Cent 10" Bowl In One Afternoon .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

Made this from a flat board to finished product this afternoon . I did a complete tutorial of every step along the way with pictures and posted it into my own site on my Ringmaster Lathe Turning Board .. Too much to copy and paste into here .
But in a nutshell , it started out like this and ended up like this .

Total actual on hands woodworking without including any glue or finish curing time was 42 minutes .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Bill,
What kind of glue and finish are you using that dries that fast?

I use tight bond glue and generally let it sit overnight to ensure it's dry... also like to let my wipe on poly site overnight to dry.

W.Y.

Bill,
What kind of glue and finish are you using that dries that fast?

I use tight bond glue and generally let it sit overnight to ensure it's dry... also like to let my wipe on poly site overnight to dry.

I use shellac as a sanding sealer ready to sand within a half to one hour depending on heat and humidity conditions and then several coats of lacquer which dries in minutes between coats .
No sanding between or after the lacquer if properly sanded and sealed previously .Sometime I will buff a bunch of them with my Beal buffer but it really doesn't add that much if the wood is properly prepared before finishing . Everything I make is done in a 90 square foot shop including my finishing except in favorable weather where I will step outside with the breeze to my back for the few minutes it takes to apply the coats of finish .

I have tried every kind of poly and Tung oil finish out there and they do produce a nice finish although they change the color darker compared to lacquer and I just don't have the time or patience to use their lengthy application process.
Hey . . . I'm eighty years old . I don't even buy green bananas anymore :biggrin:

Last edited:

Drewboy22

I like what you did. Did you cut each ring at an angle on the bandsaw? Did you have to turn it or did you just sand it? It looks like it is already turned when you show the pic of the glue up?

Thanks,

Drew

W.Y.

I like what you did. Did you cut each ring at an angle on the bandsaw? Did you have to turn it or did you just sand it? It looks like it is already turned when you show the pic of the glue up?

Thanks,

Drew

The rings were cut out on my Ringmaster lathe .
No turning after that . Only sanding.
In the picture of the glue up in my tutorial on WWF , that is exactly how accurately the rings come off the RM and they are stacked and glued only in that picture. After the glue cured I took it out of the press and it only required sanding .

Drewboy22

Thanks,

Drew

In the picture of the glue up in my tutorial on WWF , that is exactly how accurately the rings come off the RM and they are stacked and glued only in that picture. After the glue cured I took it out of the press and it only required sanding .

I am going to have break out the googler and find out what that is :confused:

Learn something new everyday:)

W.Y.

Thanks,

Drew

I am going to have break out the googler and find out what that is :confused:

Learn something new everyday:)

Here ya go Drew.
They are made in USA by this manufacturer
Build My Ringmaster | Ring Master

Also the Ringmaster Lathe Turning board on my WWF site has the most complete and up to date information by way of discussions than on any other site in the world .

Hawkdave

Tried to register and got a huge run around. Finally got confirmation and when logged in, it wouldn't let me go any further.:frown:

Dave.

nativewooder

Had a fellow with a RingMaster at our County Fair pretending to be a woodworker a few years ago, but after he blew up a couple of bowls scattering pieces out into the crowd, he was shut down and asked to leave. Wonder if he ever got into real woodturning?!:cool:

W.Y.

Tried to register and got a huge run around. Finally got confirmation and when logged in, it wouldn't let me go any further.:frown:

Dave.

Easier to get signed up with my bank... hehe

99% claim it was extremely easy but in life there is always that 1% :biggrin: which is a mistake on their end and cannot be corrected from this end.

Oh well , life goes on and we don't sweat the small stuff . :wink:

The response and registration applications was enormous when I posted the first and last pictures of my tutorial in a couple FB groups as well as on my own page on Facebook same time as I posted here. Kept me and my staff busy checking out and either accepting or denying applications . Kind of wish I had not posted it anywhere except on my own Facebook page . It turned into many hours of extra computer time that I had not planned on .

W.Y.

Had a fellow with a RingMaster at our County Fair pretending to be a woodworker a few years ago, but after he blew up a couple of bowls scattering pieces out into the crowd, he was shut down and asked to leave. Wonder if he ever got into real woodturning?!:cool:

Like you said he was "pretending" to be a woodworker and didn't have a clue what he was doing .
Would be impossible to make bowls with just one machine in a Fair setting .
Real woodworkers with table saw and drill press and jointer and planer and lathe and sander's and yes , a Ringmaster , know how to use them all to add to the variety of money making items they produce and they know what they are doing .

But I agree , there will always be some idiot like that who will make a fool of himself . I hope he wasn't hurt .

Hawkdave

Dave.

99% claim it was extremely easy but in life there is always that 1% :biggrin: which is a mistake on their end and cannot be corrected from this end.

The response and registration applications was enormous when I posted the first and last pictures of my tutorial in a couple FB groups as well as on my own page on Facebook same time as I posted here. Kept me and my staff busy checking out and either accepting or denying applications . Kind of wish I had not posted it anywhere except on my own Facebook page . It turned into many hours of extra computer time that I had not planned on .

It was probably as you mention, with so many visitors wanting to check how the bowl was made. I woke up this morning to another email that took me straight there.

Dave.

W.Y.

Dave.

It was probably as you mention, with so many visitors wanting to check how the bowl was made. I woke up this morning to another email that took me straight there.

Dave.

Thanks Dave.
Glad you made it and I never thought earlier that could have been the problem because they were literally coming in by the dozens.

Top Bottom