turquoise inlay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
hello all,
i put this together last saturday, and boy did it give me a head ache. the wood is olive burl from the root side of the tree.
the voids are from dirt where the root grew around something.
MVC-542F.jpg
i used 5 min epoxy to set the stone this is the first time i've tried to inlay a pen

laurie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Laurie, that looks great! A tighter-cropped pic will let us see more of the pen. Also, try adding a [ br] (without the spaces) after the [ /img ] tag so your text comes up on the next line.

rlh

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />Looks Good Laurie, I like the turquoise.

Did you ever try filling voids when coffee grinds? Looks like bark.
Ron
Please share your procedure for filling voids with coffee grounds. Sounds interesting. Thanks.[:D]

It's pretty easy.
Take dry coffee grinds, fresh or used.
Pack the void with the grinds and apply a liberal dose of thin CA glue.
When dry turn as normal.

Of course only the best coffee should be used!!![:D]

wow everyone, thanks for all your compliments. this is the first picture i've put up here. i'll get better with time. as with my turning. how did i do it. the void was natural. this was a root ball and the dark bark hole was just there. as i turned the pen tube down the bark fell out as wanted. i use a 2 part, 5 min epoxy.

thanks, laurie

DFM

This motivates me to try turquiose on my next pen. I have a spalted blank that has the additional character of small worm holes throughout. I am going to open some of the voids out and stick turq. in the holes.

fshenkin94

Nice job. Did you crush the turquoise or by it that way. I have tried a few pens like this and crushed it myself using a hammer. It is a little tricky but works and is cheaper than buying the crushed stone.

fshenkin, i bought this from wood turner catalog. not cheap but you don't need much. if i had larger stones i too would crush it. this is just easier. i've bought beads (small stones with holes) and have crushed them. and found that cheaper but too much trouble.

thanks, laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom