Turnning blanks with a round nose tool

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

I had used a roughing gouge before and got inspiration (or was it indigestion?) and thought I would try my round nose tool on blanks. I keep it sharp and find that it does well on all types of wood. I turn the blank and use the side edge of the bevel to fine tune the edges of the blank.

JimB

You can use just about any tool to make a pen. The difference is what tool you are comfortable with and what tool give you the desired results. You will find certain tools are better than others. Wait until you learn to use a skew. You won't believe how smooth it cuts when used correctly. It leaves the smoothest finish cut of any tool. IMO, the Detail Spindle gouge leaves the second best finish.

Woodchipper

The box lists it as a 3/4 inch round nose scraper. Got the skew on the to-do list. I have tons of wood for practice. I have heard that a sharp skew in the hands of a skilled turner doesn't require sanding the wood.

leehljp

Member Liaison
The box lists it as a 3/4 inch round nose scraper. Got the skew on the to-do list. I have tons of wood for practice. I have heard that a sharp skew in the hands of a skilled turner doesn't require sanding the wood.

And a well sharpened scraper can and will do the same - with proper practice and on hard woods. A scraper doesn't do well on soft woods that have not been stabilized. I have difficulty with the skew even after two DVDs and half a dozen youtube videos watched and several days just practicing. :frown:

I occasionally make a segment that cannot be sanded due to the kind of sanding dust created - it smears like pencil lead. I leaned to turn it to the point it did not need sanding. The segmented blank finishes baby butt smooth and I apply CA directly over that, and then sand the CA for a mirror like finish.

Last edited:
Top Bottom