Turning Walnut....s

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Charlie_W

Charlie_W

Recently, our wood turning club participated in a local town fair. This is the big fundraising event for this little town.
We had two booths. One demonstrating and one with sales. I walked around the community center and found some black walnuts in the walkway...hulls off. I thought... I wonder how these would turn?
Here are the pics! First is one of our club turners trying her hand at the walnut. We learned fast that turning between centers meant using a light touch. Just a touch of sandpaper and some walnut oil and they were done. The spectators thought this was interesting!

Attachments

• IMG_0447.jpg
    IMG_0447.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_0448.jpg
    IMG_0448.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_0491.jpg
    IMG_0491.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 294
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Another thing you do with the walnuts.... run them through the band saw and slice them... take out the nuts and add the heat crystals that melt and make a stained glass effect... use caution slicing them in the band saw... I held them with channel locks to keep my fingers intact. A little eye bolt and a string and you have a pretty pendant.

Charlie_W

Another thing you do with the walnuts.... run them through the band saw and slice them... take out the nuts and add the heat crystals that melt and make a stained glass effect... use caution slicing them in the band saw... I held them with channel locks to keep my fingers intact. A little eye bolt and a string and you have a pretty pendant.

Chuck,
I had not thought of doing that with the walnuts. Cool idea!
I do remember making peach pit baskets to go on a necklace back in the 70's.

plantman

Very interesting use of Walnut shells Charlie. !! You could also do this with the sliced shells.

Attachments

• DSCF0001 (800x256).jpg
    DSCF0001 (800x256).jpg
    179 KB · Views: 141
  • DSCF0005 (343x800).jpg
    DSCF0005 (343x800).jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 182
Top Bottom