Turning three or more lines...say on a duck call

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

encoreguy260

I know it's difficult to turn three or more lines say on a duck call and have them be perfectly spaced. Has any one ever used a Leather Stitching Punch as a creation tool?

Seam like it out to work...making very lite marks. Thoughts anyone?

1591552923789.png

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jjjaworski

You can always try to layout the lines with a set of dividers or a dial or digital caliper using the inside diameter measuring portion.

The leather punches would probably work but you are limited to the spacing that is built in to the punches.

RunnerVince

This would work, but as mentioned, you'd be limited to the spacing of the punch. Also, it would only work for the lightest layout lines. You'd want to be very careful not to dig in too much. I know the materials used for these punches vary widely, so a cheap one would be a potential safety hazard just because of the materials. And they're short enough that there's not enough leverage to keep the tool from flying if there's any sort of problem unless you add a beefier handle. And having more than two points of contact is also a a potential hazard. My gut feeling is "it could work, but it's not worth the risk."

One thing I've found to be very good at this is a set of bead cutting tools. The set I bought is now $52.95 from PSI, which is comparable to the cost of a really good leather punch. They are IMHO lousy for cutting beads, but they're wonderful for getting consistent lines. And I'm not limited to just "marking out." I can actually use the tool to get the lines/grooves as deep as I want.

magpens

I would not use the stitching punch, unless to just mark your workpiece for the spacing you want. . Don't use to cut.

What tool will you be using for the actual cutting ?

You could sketch the positions of your lines with a pencil to get the spacing right and go from there.

JimB

It's actually very easy to make any number of lines evenly spaced at any distance you want. Take a scrap piece of wood (about the size of a pen blank works well), and hammer 2 nails into the end spaced the distance you want your lines. Sharpen the nails with a file. Use this to make your first 2 grooves. Then place one nail in one groove and use the other nail to make the next groove. Repeat for an many grooves as you want, all evenly spaced. Use a skew to V cut the grooves deeper and/or wider. Free, accurate and easy to do.

Top Bottom