Turning price increases?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

So I haven't bought supplies for turning such as pen kits, blanks, tools etc.... Have y'all seen major price increases in these supplies? It seems you have to pay twice as much for everything lately, just wondering if it has affected this hobby as much also. Just curious.
Thanks, Bobby

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Pretty much everything has gone up at lest 15% to 25%, along with portions of many things decreasing. Inflation is definitely higher than 8%.

We used to give 3-4 month guarantees in our quotations (industrial instruments), but now we have to reprice our products every time we submit a quote & can only guarantee them for 1-2 weeks.

bsshog40

Ya, I don't know how the 8% inflation rate is determined. I know I had to buy some sheets of sandpaper the other day. It was a little over double price of what I use to pay. That's a little over 100% increase by my standards.

Sataro

I was surprised when I shipped out an order the other day at the post office. Small priority box is now $10.40 instead of the usual $9 something rate. Irritating thing about this $10.40 rate is it is a temporary Christmas rate hike. Will go back to normal rate in January according to the post office employee.

I was surprised when I shipped out an order the other day at the post office. Small priority box is now $10.40 instead of the usual $9 something rate. Irritating thing about this $10.40 rate is it is a temporary Christmas rate hike. Will go back to normal rate in January according to the post office employee.
You need to check out Pirate Ship for your checking. Still send it by USPS flat rate but I just saved $2.30 on an order I just shipped out. I would highly recommend it to everyone.

So I haven't bought supplies for turning such as pen kits, blanks, tools etc.... Have y'all seen major price increases in these supplies? It seems you have to pay twice as much for everything lately, just wondering if it has affected this hobby as much also. Just curious.
Thanks, Bobby

I just increased my prices on my website for my knives due to increases by my blade supplier. Plus you have to wait now for back orders to be filled. I've never had that problem before but I'm seeing it more and more.

From when I started doing pens, seems like the kit prices have nearly doubled...'course I started about 20 years ago and stopped making pens about 8 years ago.... I mostly do bowls and pepper mills now... even the mill kits have increased some since I started them.... I just order 10 crush grind grinder inserts... paid about the same price as I always pay... usually depends on the conversion rate between CAD and USD. They got hung up in customs though and haven't received them yet... maybe tomorrow... they are shipped. They are made in Denmark, US distributor is in Canada, so don't know which customs hung them up.

keithbyrd

prices definitely have gone up! I am thinking it is higher than the announced 8%+ - probably more in the 25-30% in a lot of items. I don't know how to not pass it along in the price of things but doing so sure seems to have slowed down sales - this year probably down 50%! Inflation up 25% sales down 50% - ouch!

A lot of the wood prices have gone up. I was looking for HRB blanks the other day and saw they'd increased by $5 per blank. I did find a nice deal on king cocobolo, 100 blanks (3/4" square by 5") for $116 (including the $17 shipping cost). Great deal, and the blanks look gorgeous!

jttheclockman

Everytime I open this thread when there is new postings it makes me want to scream. This topic is so politically loaded it hurts. I will not take it down that road. These price increases across the board of everything are unwarrented but happening because they can. You sit down and talk to economists and people in the know they can not give you straight answers. Had to just stop myself again and delete so much. I need to avoid this topic. But to answer the OP yes pen turning has become more expensive but as with everything these prices continue to be passed on down the line as you read our own members have stepped aboard that train. Good luck to all of us. Now I am off to the supermarket where prices change daily.

montmill

At 78 years old I've seen these things before. You make adjustments, thankfully nothing like my parents had to do during the depression. I learned the lesson from them: Quote by Boyd K. Packer: "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without."

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Material costs have gone up--probably 15-25%. Manufacturing time is now 60-90 days.
SHIPPING has gone up 500-1000%!!! (Five to ten times what it was, pre-pandemic)
Meanwhile air freight from Taiwan and China now takes two to three weeks--used to be 5 days.
Still have 25% punitive tariff on all Chinese goods.
So, yes prices will necessarily go up as will inventory and carrying costs (as prime rate increases, cost of money is
about 4x what it was pre-pandemic.

jrista

Everytime I open this thread when there is new postings it makes me want to scream. This topic is so politically loaded it hurts. I will not take it down that road. These price increases across the board of everything are unwarrented but happening because they can. You sit down and talk to economists and people in the know they can not give you straight answers. Had to just stop myself again and delete so much. I need to avoid this topic. But to answer the OP yes pen turning has become more expensive but as with everything these prices continue to be passed on down the line as you read our own members have stepped aboard that train. Good luck to all of us. Now I am off to the supermarket where prices change daily.
I'm sorry, but WHAT??? Where did this come from??

John, the only politically loaded post in this entire thread so far is yours, as you explicitly mentioned politics, then economics. All of the other posts are purely talking about price increases, not one person outside of you even accidentally meandered into political territory. The underlying topic of inflation may have undercurrents that lead to politics, but this particular thread here, no one followed any of those undercurrents...except you...

Sorry, but your post really dismayed me. I see absolutely no reason in this thread for your anger about it. People are frustrated, and I will tell you, this is THE MOST benign thread on the topic of cost increases that I've come across in....a long time. And by far, the LEAST politically charged of them all, across a multitude of forums, articles, etc.

jttheclockman

I'm sorry, but WHAT??? Where did this come from??

John, the only politically loaded post in this entire thread so far is yours, as you explicitly mentioned politics, then economics. All of the other posts are purely talking about price increases, not one person outside of you even accidentally meandered into political territory. The underlying topic of inflation may have undercurrents that lead to politics, but this particular thread here, no one followed any of those undercurrents...except you...

Sorry, but your post really dismayed me. I see absolutely no reason in this thread for your anger about it. People are frustrated, and I will tell you, this is THE MOST benign thread on the topic of cost increases that I've come across in....a long time. And by far, the LEAST politically charged of them all, across a multitude of forums, articles, etc.
What else is new coming from you. Sorry you do not see it the same way as I did. What I suggest is jump on all the Black Friday sales that are going on for the whole 2 months. Suddenly prices can come down. Stock up. Many good deals out there. ;);)

MRDucks2

The business I am in, I buy salt. In January, at one of my locations, salt was 4.3 cents a pound, February 5.2 cents per pound. July it was 7.3 cents per pound. Two weeks ago it was 10 cents a pound…

…We go through 25 tons of salt every 5-6 weeks.

dogcatcher

Fuel prices effect everything. Even pen kit prices. Those trucks, cargo ships and aircraft burn fuel, we all pay for it. When fuel costs goes down? Don't expect prices to drop. The raises and inventory costs take a long time to adjust to decreases.

Inventory? I buy about 3 or 4 times a year. I try to keep an inventory for what my estimated needs are. If prices go up. My in-stock inventory value is adjusted to the new prices as are sales prices.

We took a different route to try and control prices this year. Despite the increases in material prices we've managed to keep our retail pricing the same by improving efficiencies. Instead of ordering a few 80lb kits of resin we order full pallets and have it shipped freight.... Our casting processes changed a bit to ensure we use exactly the amount of resin we need as well. Though admittedly another increase in resin costs will likely be more than we can work around at this point. We've seen 15% increases in materials costs this past year. It'll be interesting seeing how steel prices impact us going forward now that we manufacture kits as well

Top Bottom