Turning plastic on the metal lathe - how to stop plastic waste winding on the blank?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FGarbrecht

How do you keep strings of plastic from wrapping around the blank during turning? I'm constantly having to stop to remove waste collecting on the blank I'm trying to cut. Holding a shop vac nozzle nearby helps somewhat, and removing waste with a toothbrush does too, but both require me to stand there with something in my hand instead of controlling the lathe. I'm using the standard carbide insert tools so I can't really try to grind a chip breaker (or can I?). If I'm turning off only 1-2 thou it isn't a problem (mostly tiny chips / powder), but anything more creates long strings that like nothing more than to wrap around the blank. Arrgh.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FGarbrecht

Well, I guess I could drill and tap my crossfeed to hold a mounting bracket for a little vacuum nozzle near the cutter. Doubt if it is patentable though. And too much trouble.

DrD

Nah, yuou've already hit on the solution - actually there are 2. The easiest: don't turn acrylics or plastics of any kind for that matter. Solution 2: if you really must turn acrylics/plastics, be prepared to stop every few moments and manually pull the strings/ribbons away. I turned a Jr Retro yesterday in AA33 - Evergreen; had to stop every pass to clear things out.

Don

randyrls

I just pushed it one step back. After turning down the blank, I have to clear the screen in my dust collector of all the little ribbons. The screen prevents large pieces from getting into the impeller, but it makes a dandy catchall for the ribbons.

FGarbrecht

I just pushed it one step back. After turning down the blank, I have to clear the screen in my dust collector of all the little ribbons. The screen prevents large pieces from getting into the impeller, but it makes a dandy catchall for the ribbons.
Well, at least I don't have to worry about that since I don't have a dust collector attached. I just use the shopvac after I've created a mountain of waste.

howsitwork

A tooth brush is a good idea, I just use a paint brush cut short to give stiff bristles.

If you cut from headstock towards tailstock revolving centre it gathers near tailstock then stop lathe, move tailstock back and push debris off the end. Replace tailstock and continue.

Cwalker935

I recall something about the use of static cling sheets that you use in clothes dryers. I've never tried to use them and have no idea if they actually work.

greenacres2

I have a shop vac with one of the Rockler vac adapters at the lathe. When the beginning of a strand goes to the vac, there is a single line that follows--it's cool to watch!!. When it doesn't, i have a small brush that i touch to the strands while spinning and it comes right off.
earl

acmaclaren

Angi the Maker
The majority of my turning are plastics. You will always get those annoying ribbons. My solution was to purchase a Fein shop vac and the Rockler hose adapter. It's the one you srew onto your lathe. The vac sucks up most of the ribbons as they are coming off the blank. I use a toothbrush to get the rest.

turncrazy43

I went to HF bought a set of stiff bristle brushes, cheap, lay one on he lathe ways. When the ribbons build up I use the brush to remove the ribbons while the lathe is running. Apply the brush from the top of the turning blank to avoid any catch. The brushes are like a large tooth brush. The Stiff bristles work well to remove the ribbons but are not hard enough to mar the blank. Just my solution.

+1 for shopvac, photo of my setup, no issues with strands, all go in vacuum cleaner and lathe stays clean as well.

Attachments

• E8805D5C-4E4D-432C-8D45-784978637894.jpeg
    E8805D5C-4E4D-432C-8D45-784978637894.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 202

More4dan

I just make a reverse pass and it will usually remove the wound ribbons. Helps to grind a sharp edge HSS bit for use on acrylics too. When turning with a negative rake I get almost no ribbons, likely more from a small depth of cut though.

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:

FGarbrecht

I just make a reverse pass and it will usually remove the wound ribbons. Helps to grind a sharp edge HSS bit for use on acrylics too. When turning with a negative rake I get almost no ribbons, likely more from a small depth of cut though.

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app
I need to learn how to grind my own tools!

Top Bottom