Turning mammoth tooth

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bigcountry11

So, I gots me a mammoth tooth blank. I need to know what tools I need.

So drilling I see carbide drill bits from McMaster carr.

Cutting, will high speed cutter from harbor freight work? I imagine my bandsaw will not. I would rather not invest in a tile cutter.

Now for turning. I have a carbide magic tool, will that work? Or should I look at a carbide skew. The carbide magic head is small.

Squaring off the ends? This is the one I am worried about. Thinking of using my belt sander with ceramic belts, I use to make knives.

About what speed can I turn?

Any help would be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenPal

Recently I showed my Wooly Mammoth Tooth Pen on this forum if you can stand repitition here it is------

First I cut the tooth using a 4 inch bandsaw,clean as a whistle.

Bought this ARTU drill bit the nearest to size (look them up on Google) available in America.

THen drilled to the needed size with a conventional drill.

I fully recommend squaring the blank,I use a 12 inch sanding disk with punches to size.

Using a 4 way 2 degree 15 mm square Carbide cutter.

It took me 3 1/2 hrs to turn but I am making a machine by adaption to do the next one.

My blank had a Cobolt Blue colour because it was found in Cobalt Country.

Good luck, great care and have fun.

Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF8602.JPG
    DSCF8602.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 306
  • DSCF8603.JPG
    DSCF8603.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 335
  • DSCF8611-001.JPG
    DSCF8611-001.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 297
  • DSCF8612.JPG
    DSCF8612.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:

More4dan

Recently I showed my Wooly Mammoth Tooth Pen on this forum if you can stand repitition here it is------

First I cut the tooth using a 4 inch bandsaw,clean as a whistle.

Bought this ARTU drill bit the nearest to size (look them up on Google) available in America.

THen drilled to the needed size with a conventional drill.

I fully recommend squaring the blank,I use a 12 inch sanding disk with punches to size.

Using a 4 way 2 degree 15 mm square Carbide cutter.

It took me 3 1/2 hrs to turn but I am making a machine by adaption to do the next one.

My blank had a Cobolt Blue colour because it was found in Cobalt Country.

Good luck, great care and have fun.

Peter.

Peter, was your blank stabilized? How did you keep it cool while drilling and turning?

Beautiful pen!

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

PenPal

Drilling no probs using the nearest sized Artu drill then conventional drill to size. I used as shown the Carburundum ,one 4 way cutter it took hrs of turning. There are bands of glass that slow the process somewhat. As the 4 way cutters blunted they were removed and placed flat down on a diamond file. I chose to have this shape as it is precious material.

Available via Internet in Canada from Russia sources. I gave the other half of the blank to my mate Pierre who lives in Paris France. It was a great experience.

Peter.

Top Bottom