Turning in the cold sucks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Neededwill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks for the response. It may have been taken down. My daughter is working on an updated site. I'll check it out.

endacoz

Yes turning in the cold stinks! Last year I had -18 inside my unheated shop! I thank God I was able to insulate and get a little heater this year.

Nice pens by the way.

wyone

I have an electric heater, and also when it is really cold a propane heater I use. If I can go out about 20 minutes before I am ready to work, it is not too bad, but still one day I will have a fully heated shop.... or live where I do not need a fully heated shop. lol

Fay Prozora

My shop is cold also and I have an oil heater going while I'm in there. Hopefully we will get a nice wood stove to go there and that will help a lot. I only get an hour or two of turning in the shop on these colder days. I'm home and will go back to the shop in a week or so after my stuff I ordered come. I'm going to try polymer clay pens just for fun. Maybe I'll turn a couple more bowls. Found my fingerless gloves so that will help when it comes to handling that chuck on a cold morning... Fay

oneleggimp

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States o
I feel for you. I can't deal with cold any more. Since I've been a full-time wheeler, it seems as though I'm more sensitive to cold. If I had to deal with what you you and Fay have to deal with, I'd have to stop for the Winter. It's bad enough to go out on the back porch where the mitre box is screwed to the rail to cut a couple of pen blanks.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Not only are YOU uncomfortable, if you are turning "plastics", they become more brittle and more likely to "blow up". "Torpedo" heaters have dropped in price and they are very powerful!

Not turning plastic? Wood will turn fine in the cold--finish---not so much!!! Read the label and work within the recommended temp range. Otherwise, you may see peeling and other unfavorable reactions.

If you can't warm your shop, delay making pens!!!

FWIW,
Ed

LeeR

Nicely done. What is the green pen blank? Looks like a plies of green and gray?

This is the time of year that I really like having a basement shop. :biggrin:

Top Bottom