Turning in NC

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

Hello all,

I'm joining you from Winston Salem, North Carolina. Having been around here more than a few times, as many google searches led me here for how to's and such, it seemed like it was time to join you. I am pretty new to turning in general, having received a lathe for Christmas last year. I've been turning pens since then, made a few magic wands, and even managed some bowls. I find it almost therapeutic most of the time (unless things go too wrong and then I go the opposite direction).

Since getting started with the wood turning, I have come to understand what the guy at Klingspoor's meant when he said the lathe is just the down payment. In fact, I've already upgraded to a used Jet 1015. Fortunately, Klingspoor's is right in town and West Penn Hardwoods is only about an hour west, right on my way to visiting family. Maybe that's not so fortunate, considering how hard it is to keep my spending in check. In fact, I'm about to open an Etsy shop to at least attempt to support my habit. Wish me luck with that. My wife has a shop, so she can be my mentor for the business aspect.

Working with my hands is something I've just always done and enjoyed, tackling whatever DIY I can. Being a homeowner, there's plenty of opportunity for that. I also make some jewelry, mostly beaded bracelets and wire wrapping, and even dabble in some watercolor painting when the mood strikes me.

On a personal note, these things have kept me so distracted lately that I have hardly spent any time on my Gold Wing. Summer was a scorcher anyway, which makes it not so pleasant to stick my head in the helmet. Fall is beautiful here, so I hope to get out of the shop a little more often now to enjoy the colors and the curvy mountain roads. Maybe I'll see some of you out there, and will definitely see you in here.

The attached pic is my personal pen, though I sometimes carry others. It's not just me that can't go out without a couple pens, right?

Todd

StarryNightPen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MDWine

Welcome aboard!
There is no place like this place near this place... this is THE place!
The key here is to participate! Ask questions when you have'm, answer questions when you can, and make friends!
Looks like you're off to a great start.
Don't forget more pictures! WE LOVE pictures!

Top Bottom