Turning Fail...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from vtgaryw

vtgaryw

So, here's why you always undercut your tenon, even when you're using serrated jaws. I just assumed the resin would give enough "bite" to hold it and I got careless. It was going to be such a beautiful pine cone and resin bowl... I wonder what I can do with this chuck?

Gary

Attachments

• Fail 1.jpeg
    Fail 1.jpeg
    241.9 KB · Views: 276
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lucky2

Gary, it is very unfortunate failure, but fortunately you didn't injure yourself when it happened. As for the piece that is left, either throw it out, or place it somewhere for a reminder of it happening.

Len

Jonkou

Learning what not to do without bleeding is often more valuable than completing another bowl. All that read this post will be reminded of a 101 lesson, a proper tenon is always mandatory. Thanks for the refresher.

vtgaryw

Perhaps a pen blank out of the bottom?

Unfortunately, I have a core of wood all the way down to the bottom (to save resin) that gets turned out. And I only used a pieced of 2x4, so nothing interesting. Maybe I'll just break the pieces up and throw them into my next bowl cast.

Gary

vtgaryw

My preferred tenon and jaws are Dovetail....especially on resin.
Yeah, I'm still learning the subtleties of turning resin bowls. I had just assumed that my serrated jaw chuck would hold the resin well. And it did, right up until it didn't. I have another one to turn today, I'm going to use the dovetail jaws on it.

Txs,

Gary

There are no turning failures, just re-design opportunities.

I've not turned a resin bowl yet, maybe this summer... will have to be a resin that doesn't require a pressure pot though as I don't have one and it's not really in the budget to buy one... I've done a few resin pepper mills that worked out okay. I don't do dovetail tenons as my chuck jaws are straight jaws without the dovetail, but I always make sure they are square... a few times I failed to square the edges of the tenon, I have wound up playing dodge bowl when it flies loose off the chuck.... the excitement of wood turning when the bowl comes flying at your head... :eek::eek::D

JimB

In addition to using dovetail jaws, it appears that the bowl curves all the way to the tenon. This doesn't give the top of the jaws a proper place to sit against your piece. You need a flat surface so the top of the jaws fully sit against the bottom of the piece. there shouldn't be any gap between the top of the jaws and your piece.

It's also hard to tell how big the tenon is. Did it bottom out in the chuck (it shouldn't ). Did the jaws close enough, to the almost fully closed position as they should?

ebill

...........And I only used a pieced of 2x4, so nothing interesting. Gary

- I don't think a pc of pine, esp an old 2x4 would be my first choice for the core. Think I would have used a pc of hardwood instead. Looks to me like the chuck was trying to do its job but the soft wood just turned in the chuck and splintered. ?

- ebill

vtgaryw

In addition to using dovetail jaws, it appears that the bowl curves all the way to the tenon. This doesn't give the top of the jaws a proper place to sit against your piece. You need a flat surface so the top of the jaws fully sit against the bottom of the piece. there shouldn't be any gap between the top of the jaws and your piece.

It's also hard to tell how big the tenon is. Did it bottom out in the chuck (it shouldn't ). Did the jaws close enough, to the almost fully closed position as they should?

The tenon didn't bottom on the chuck, I knew enough to not do that. The jaws closed almost fully like they should have. But I didn't have the top face of the jaws rest on a flat on the bottom like you said. That said, from now on I'm going to do these resin bowls in my dovetail jaws, not the straight serrated one.
- I don't think a pc of pine, esp an old 2x4 would be my first choice for the core. Think I would have used a pc of hardwood instead. Looks to me like the chuck was trying to do its job but the soft wood just turned in the chuck and splintered. ?

- ebill

I've experimented with these a bit. On some, I used a hardwood core all the way to the bottom. On this one, I actually built the bottom up with the mini pine cones, and set the pine core on top. The tenon held, it was when I was turning out the core that the blank let loose from the chuck, that's why the pine looks splintered. I've also done a few where I make a circle out of 5/8 pine and put it in the bottom of the cup I'm casting in. This piece essentially becomes the tenon. I'm having better luck with that method.

-gary

vtgaryw

So, I took the remaining piece (shown in the first photo) and recast it. I knew I wouldn't match the color very well, so I contrasted it with a more purple look. Here it is so far, it doesn't look too bad.

-gary

Attachments

• Failure saved.jpeg
    Failure saved.jpeg
    338.2 KB · Views: 122
Top Bottom