Turning Brass Black?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Has anyone come up with a good way to turn brass black? Weather it be tubes or other brass parts such as watch gears. I have used a brass blackener that many of us used back many years ago and now I forgot the seller. It does work to a point but not total black. Other than powdercoating or painting is there a mixture that is tried and proven to work well turning brass black. Hate to start spending money and trying different products. If not I may have to try just getting some heat resistant paint. I need to be able to clear cast these. Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
This?

Brass-Black.jpg

Gary Beasley

I have tried the brass black. It goes to almost charcoal color with repeated application. The one weakness I saw is it will come off if handled roughly and will come off with the glue if it fails to stick. Doesn't bond well to the metal. Anyone know a way to improve that?

Ruffy

If you have a professional photo developing business in your area, ask them if you can get s small quantity of "used" (it must be used) developer. Put a small quantity into a glass jar, drop your brass in, check it every so often. Once it has reached the colour you want remove and wash thoroughly.

It can take up to 36hrs.

Top Bottom