Turning between centers...sort of!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

I had posted photos of two pens that I did and described the one with the pink "segment" to use a loose term. I have photos of the setup I used. As mentioned, I didn't have the bushings for the soft grip pen so I used plain ol' Slimline bushings. I turned the blank with a spindle gouge, 1/4 inch parting tool and judicious use of the dial calipers. I measured the nib, top and the center band, transferring the dimensions to the printed instructions. I then started turning. When I got close to the measured dimensions, I reversed the bushing and spacers. Then I carefully turned with the parting tool at the ends to get close, then touched up with the spindle gouge. Final dimensions were done with very light passes with the spindle gouge, since other tools were too big for my comfort. Hope I have explained it and didn't cause any confusion. Photos attached.
20191127_162434.jpg
20191127_162546.jpg

leehljp

Member Liaison
That covers the original purpose for which I changed to TBC - to keep CA from lifting / chipping up when pulling the bushings off of the turned and finished blank.

Woodchipper

I still used a piece of 150 sandpaper moving in a figure 8 lightly on each end. I was pleased at the outcome and intend to make it SOP.

Top Bottom