Turnfest 2023 IG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mobyturns

In Oz we have an annual symposium Turnfest, run by a private promoter, but due to COVID the 2020 -2022 events were cancelled. Whilst deciding what to place on the IG table I came to the realization of just how much my work had progressed in that four-year time span. I've literally made hundreds of short inlay banding blocks, and many more times that in blanks. Most are iterations of a design, with literally millions of possible combinations and permutations due to wood palette, material thickness, ..... It's a rabbit hole of black hole proportions.

After considered deliberation these are what I chose.

Attachments

• 20230324_160210-web.jpg
    20230324_160210-web.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 117
  • 20230324_160217-web.jpg
    20230324_160217-web.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 131
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
WOW! Incredible artistry.
I really like the precision and diversity.
That is a display to be proud of; thanks for sharing. 👏 👏 👏

jttheclockman

Very very nice segmenting. Precision on your designs. I like it better with just the 2 sides because you can spread the design out more and not have to cram into a 4 sided blank. When you do 4 sided it makes the pieces even smaller and then you get into danger of cutting yourself. Like what you are doing. May have to dip my toe into these type designs in the future. Thanks for showing and keep up the great work.

mobyturns

Very very nice segmenting. Precision on your designs. I like it better with just the 2 sides because you can spread the design out more and not have to cram into a 4 sided blank. When you do 4 sided it makes the pieces even smaller and then you get into danger of cutting yourself. Like what you are doing. May have to dip my toe into these type designs in the future. Thanks for showing and keep up the great work.
The success of 2 or 4 sided really is very dependent upon the canvas you have to play with. For the larger single and two tube pens it has potential.

I find for the typical Baron / Sedona etc and the Sierra / Gatsby or Elegant Beauty / Lucida style pens it becomes difficult to maintain sufficient precision centering the pattern on the tube/s. Even some 2-sided patterns do not look that great on the cap section of two tube pens and lose their impact. When you go to a 4-sided pattern blank any error in centering is accentuated and really stands out as a quite discernible taper in the "field" sections between the inlay.

Alan Morrison

In Oz we have an annual symposium Turnfest, run by a private promoter, but due to COVID the 2020 -2022 events were cancelled. Whilst deciding what to place on the IG table I came to the realization of just how much my work had progressed in that four-year time span. I've literally made hundreds of short inlay banding blocks, and many more times that in blanks. Most are iterations of a design, with literally millions of possible combinations and permutations due to wood palette, material thickness, ..... It's a rabbit hole of black hole proportions.

After considered deliberation these are what I chose.
Geoff, I looked Turnfest up and saw a photograph of your excellent pens on one of the stands.
Did you turn the pots as well?
Alan

Top Bottom