Turner's smock

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithlong

I am looking into buying a smock, I do all my turning sitting on a stool. Any suggestions as to where I can get one. I am a large man and need either a 3x or 4x. Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Woodcraft sells them. We've done some group buys in the past. I think it's been 5 years since I did the last one. I'm too old for another one!šŸ¤£

Velcrodog

I am looking into buying a smock, I do all my turning sitting on a stool. Any suggestions as to where I can get one. I am a large man and need either a 3x or 4x. Thanks
Got mine at Amazon but don't remember price. Some friends use chefs smocks which work just fine.

NeonWoodShop

I found a Lovell smock with the "Woodturner" embroidered logo on eBay a couple years ago. Like new and good price.

In the summer I wear a military ACU jacket from a thrift store. Mike Peace suggested them in one of his videos on YT. Look for one with the Velcro neck closures, rather than the standard BDU type shirt.
In the winter I have an old coat with some sort of nylon shell that sheds chips easily. The coat was my Grandfathers from our volunteer Fire Company so I don't have a source.

sorcerertd

Smocks are often available in February during the IAP Bash (birthday/anniversary celebration) with the logo embroidered on them. I don't know if that is an option this year or not. I've thought about a barber's shirt since they are made out of material that hair will brush/fall off of, but haven't done so yet. Maybe someone else here can let us know if they have tried that option?

military ACU jacket
I like this idea.

monophoto

Lovell makes some very nice heavy cotton smocks. They are reasonably priced, but because they are made in Wales, the shipping cost to the US is a consideration.

Curly

I have a couple Lovell turning smoke. They are long sleeved which is frown upon by some turners that believe short sleeves are safer. Nothing to catch and get wrapped around the lathe. If when you phone and order you can ask for the smocks be shipped by mail. It takes a little longer but you don't get dinged as much for courier broker fees and it is a little cheaper, at least to Canada it was. Embroidery rates are decent too.

Top Bottom