Turned Hollowform a Lamp - New Pics added

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doghouse

The lamp is completely hollowed out, then mounted with the hardware. I turned the base, then the lid from the same log.
I almost did not leave myself enough room to cut the lid. I was hitting the screws when parting it off!

lamp.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Doghouse

The wood is spalted pecan, great ID job!
I still had a little left, so I am making a finial for the top from the same wood.

Dave, the tough part is getting the lid to fit correctly, and complement the shape of the hollowform.

wayneis

John, thats really nice. What is a good tool for hollowing the bulk of the wood? I've been playing with vases and things a little but I'm having a little trouble when I have to do kind of deep cuts.

Wayne

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
JOhn that is a beautiful hollow form.I don't turn bowls but I have an idea as to what went into making it.
Now I have a question.
Why a hollow form?
The piece would have looked just as nice as a lamp if it had been drilled for the wiring and hardware.
Is the design such that the shade is meant to be removed?
Wouldn't the lamp be less top heavy if it were solid?
Please don't let my questions diminish how much I like it I am just trying to figure out why?
Or is it the same reason I do some of the things I do, to see if I can?

Woodnknots

Originally posted by ctEaglesc
<br />JOhn that is a beautiful hollow form.I don't turn bowls but I have an idea as to what went into making it.
Now I have a question.
Why a hollow form?
Eagle, I think I can answer this portion of your question, but if I'm mistaken, John, feel free to step in and make me feel stupid. The main reason for the hollow form is to prevent cracking. As someone who has tried to make solid pieces from logs before, I can speak from experience that no matter what you do, if the log is not completely dry, it will split wide open once you expose the end grain. Even with a finish, it will still split.
And who has a log of spalted pecan that has been sitting for 20 years? A consistent wall thickness will even out the moisture loss, and prevent cracking.

Doghouse

Eagle & Dave, you are correct, but in addition, the balance and weight is changed dramatically by hollowing it out. By removing the wood at the top and adding a little bird shot at the bottom, it is much more stable.

Yes the shade is removable, and you can change it with others.
Xena is a little embarrassed by the lamp going topless!

2006951457_shadeless.jpg
<br />

Gary. here is a closeup of the base.

2006951816_closeupbase.jpg
<br />

Wayne & Dave, here is a picture of the one-off version of the hollowing tool I am working with. Dave, see the difference I am talking about?

2006951946_hollowing_rig.jpg
<br />

Wow, I never realized how dirty the shop was, I have to do a little cleaning now!

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Fantastic job on the vase John..!..nice shape and love that wood.

Is that the Lyle Jamieson hollowing rig..?..or just a similiar?
If it is the Jamieson, how do you like it..?..I am in the process of purchasing one :)

&lt;cut/paste&gt;And who has a log of spalted pecan that has been sitting for 20 years?
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17263

Doghouse

No, this is a modified oneway rig. If you contact them, they will modify the 16" rig to fit a 14" lathe at no extra charge. The construction is extremely heavy, and comes with 4 heads. It is a breeze to use, once you have the rig level and set.

Gary Max

Thanks for the pic update. I have just got my Hollowing rig bought and had a BIG steady rest built. Now if I just had the time to use it. I saw that Oneway set up at the show in Louisville--they are very sharp looking.
I did make the time to turn one deep vase---I will try and post a pic of it later today.

emackrell

Beautiful lamp John! I LOVE the little finial, it is the perfect finishing touch to a great piece of work. Well done!

cheers Eileen [8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom