Turned Display Box

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linster

I have a friend who make kelidoscopes out of brass. He came to me last week to see if I could make him up some long cylindrical boxes to place the scopes in. He's looking for something with either a tounge and groove type closure or hinged. The boxes would need to be about 15" long and 1.75 - 2" in diameter. Of course the inside would have to be hollow.

Since I'm very new to turning, this is not a project I can do nor have a clue of how to go about making something like this. I thought I'd bring it to the group to see if anyone had any ideas or expertise to be able to make something like this that may want to take it on as a comissioned job. If you like, I could draw a sketch of something similar he looking for and post it if you aren't getting the idea from my decription.

Any thoughts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Linster,
Its above my abilities now too, but I saw something that might give you the instructions you need to do it. Check out YoYoSpin's club web site (http://www.yoyospin.com/ppw/), and then click on the lighthouse link. The instructions there are pretty good, and basically all you'd need to do is hollow out the "lighthouse" (and ditch the brass pins). Depending on the length and thickness of the kaleidoscope, you might be able to find an appropriately sized drill bit to simplify the hollowing. A lighthouse theme might make the box an interesting companion to the kaleidoscope (i.e. kind of like a telescope). It doesn't look like it would be TOO hard, especially if you started with some relatively simple tops, which you could also hinge using some small brass piano hinges.

If you choose to try it yourself, good luck, and please post the results!
------------
Edit - of course, after I posted this, I saw the dimensions you gave. Probably outside the scope of a Forstner (sp?) type bit, but you might be able to use that to give you a head-start on the hollowing.

Again, good luck!

JimGo

Wow, thanks Doug! I'll have to look into this...Linster gave me a great idea on how to further embellish on a present!

I don't see why this can't be done with a drill chuck and forstener bit on a lathe. I've done 2" dia., to almost 5" depth. There is a lot of moving the tailstock back to keep the hole clean. Now, getting a forstener bit with a shaft even half that length to go from each end, I don't know about that.
I think I would turn and drill it in 2 pieces, turn a tenon on one end of one piece, a matching 'mortise' to mate it to, and glue the halves together. Contrasting woods, hey this is sounding interesting.
ken

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Linda, you might consider something turned along the system of a peppermill, but using the lidded box technique for both ends... this way it could be opened from either end. The box would not have a hinge or sliding tongue and groove, but I thing it would look a whole lot nicer especially since the caps would match the grain better.
A fostner bit and an extension should get you the depth you need, but you might have to drill from both ends and meet in the middle then clean the inside with a scraper to make sure the area where the drill met is smooth...
After the drilling you would mount the piece centered on the drilled out area and turn the outside to shape..

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Any ideas on what goes inside the kelidoscopes to make the colored designs...sounds kind of interesting...

..i think, too, though the case might have to be drilled/forestered in segments...maybe in two pieces and some kind of thread maybe to lock the tenon and mortise together so the two pieces could come apart and the scope put in, instead of having to insert the scope into one end and then some kind of cap on it..?

Linster

Hmmmmm, perhaps I can just turn a cylinder, cut it in half with a bandsaw (if I had one) and use some sort of router to hollow out the insides. I'd have to use a stop at the ends so that they stay solid.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by penhead
<br />Any ideas on what goes inside the kelidoscopes to make the colored designs...sounds kind of interesting...
Ray W (woodwish) use to make and sell them. I'm betting he can answer most any question you can throw at him. He might also have an answer for you, Linda.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
A search on Woodcraft site found a forester extension, but the longest there is about nine inches...so if you cut the fifteen in half the forester with extension might do it..

..Forstner Bit Extension, 5/16" x 9-3/4" #144513 (Woodcraft)

JimGo

Penhead, here are some links to different kaleidoscope kits. Some will require more "creativity" than others if you want to make it from a wooden body.

http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=KSWANDB&Category_Code=

http://www.kaleidoscopes.net/stkakit.html

http://www.polymerclayprojects.com/kaleidoscope.htm

http://www.epartyunlimited.com/kaleidoscope.html?OVRAW=kaleidoscope%20kit&OVKEY=kaleidoscope%20kit&OVMTC=standard

http://www.orientaltrading.com/otcweb/application?origin=page.jsp&namespace=browse&event=link.externalProductDetails&categoryId=342679&BP=515&sku=48%2f3407

http://www.delphiglass.com/index.cfm?page=itemView&itemsysid=127074

Again, I look forward to what the people in our group create!

wayneis

Woodcraft used to have exotic wood tubes by the foot, they also had brass end fittings that look nice and just glue on. I'm just not sure if they still sell them.

Wayne

Rifleman1776

The kelidoscopes come in kits, there are tiny bits of glass that make the colors, the effect comes from mirrors that have to be placed in a tube making a triangular tunnel through the center. For me, placing the mirrors, 'just so' was the hardest part. There is no leeway for misalingment.

Originally posted by penhead
<br />Any ideas on what goes inside the kelidoscopes to make the colored designs...sounds kind of interesting...

..i think, too, though the case might have to be drilled/forestered in segments...maybe in two pieces and some kind of thread maybe to lock the tenon and mortise together so the two pieces could come apart and the scope put in, instead of having to insert the scope into one end and then some kind of cap on it..?

Rifleman1776

Yes, I knew somebody sells wood tubes. Sometimes it just isn't worth the effort and time to make something. I believe your cost in time for making a tube would put the final product out of reach for selling to most people.

Originally posted by wayneis
<br />Woodcraft used to have exotic wood tubes by the foot, they also had brass end fittings that look nice and just glue on. I'm just not sure if they still sell them.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom