TURNCRAFTER BRUSH PROBLEM

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jsavage4

Recently I have been having problems with my VS Turncrafter motor operating intermittantly. Instead of replacing brushes every few months, PSI strongly recommended doing this procedure: Remove the top brush and insert a new number two pencil eraser into the opening and turn the lathe by hand. When you look at the eraser, it will look black, so carefully rub the eraser on a fine grit paper and repeat several times. What you are doing is cleaning the armature of any grit buildup or smoothing any bumps. If this does not solve your problem, glue a tiny piece of emry cloth the the eraser and repeat the process. Before I turned on my lathe, I hit the hole with my shop vac. Lathe runs beautifully now. Of course this is not mentioned in the owners manual.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

Great bit of advice, and not limited to Turncrafter lathes. But I suggest that a number 2 pencil is not the only solution - a No 1 or No 3 would also work!

Frankly, it sounds a lot like the kind of common-sense, practical trade-secret that an electrician would learn from his mentor and that no one ever writes down.

I've called PSI Technical Support a number of times, and I've found that the folks who answer that phone always have a good answer.

monophoto

Jack

How old is your Turncrafter?

A while back, my Turncrafter developed a problem that turned out to require that I replace the speed control box. I talked with PSI Tech Support who mentioned brushes, but quickly concluded that the symptoms I had pointed to a defective speed control.

So I ordered a new controller (that has to be done by phone since there isn't a catalog number for controllers), but while I was on the phone, I also ordered a set of brushes. Later, as I was replacing the speed controller, I also dropped the motor to take a look at the brushes - and I was amazed at how little wear they appear to show even through the lathe was around 8 years old at the time.

Which triggered a thought - I've bought several tools at Harbor Freight that came with a set of replacement brushes. Now the fact that I bought those tools at HF suggests that they are tools that I don't use nearly as much as my Turncrafter - so I find it curious that they came with replacement brushes but the Turncrafter did not. And the actual wear on the Turncrafter brushes is so insignificant after hundreds of hours of operation. So what should be the interpretation of the fact that HF supplies a set of brushes with their tools?

Incidentally, after replacing the speed control on my Turncrafter, I opened the defective box and found that the problem was that a lug on the back of the output jack that feeds the motor cable had broken. Close inspection revealed what looked like corrosion on the remains of the lug, and also a stain on the bottom of the box underneath that lug. My suspicion is that dust/shavings worked their way inside the box, and over time, released some trapped moisture that found its way to the lug, but there is no way that I could ever prove what actually caused the failure.

For what its worth, the replacement speed controller was a little different from the original that came with my 2012-era lathe - notably, the heat sink for the thyrister had been moved outside the box where there is better air circulation to remove heat,. In my opinion, that's an improvement. Also, the new controller has a separate outlet to supply power to the work light.

Joebobber

Well monophoto mine was around maybe 6 years old. It was off the 5 year warranty but hadn't been off long. It didn't have a speed control. My problem was something in the actual power switch itself. It got to the point where I took the switch apart and must've put the brass contacts in upside down, but it made on off and off on, but it worked great for awhile, but then started acting up so instead of replacing anything I just bought a new 12" Turncrafter lathe. They don't even sell the 10" 5 speed anymore, they're all speed control i believe.

Top Bottom