Turkish Walnut blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

phillywood

I just noticed that Turkish Walnut member posted in the Individual classified for his blanks for sale again. I have not seen any feed backs as for those who got in on the first round of this group buy as whether or not they were happy with the quality of these blanks and if you they have turned any of these blanks to a pen. Are they really as good as they claim to be. Now Turkish Walnut is trying to sell them directly to us members, but the prices are considerably high per blank.
I'd like to ask if these blanks are as good as their prices.
Please, just post your opinions, and a pic. of your pen if you have made one form it.
Thanks for looking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

Go back and look at the group buy. some were very satisfied and some were not overly pleased. I've seen at least two pens posted (I think one was Lou).

Keep in mind that Turkish Walnut is not really too different from Claro/English Walnut, but due to the typical age of the tree (over 150 year for the most part) the grain tends to be much tighter.

I haven't yet turned on of the ones I received, so can't give too many details yet.

Rchan63

Here's one I did from the GB, it's a Jr Gent1

Attachments

• Turkish Walnut Jr. Gent.jpg
    Turkish Walnut Jr. Gent.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 475

Mark

I haven't made anything yet. I have one drilled and glued. I just haven't had the time to put it to the lathe.

As for the wood itself, I am very pleased with it. I got mine during the group buy.

phillywood

John , Richard, Mark,
I am not trying to down the blanks, what I am trying to understand here that you guys participated in a group buy, so did it end up in a group discount from this guy and is the price that he is asking for really justified, since i got some Claro Walnut from a member from California and they are as just nice as those Turkish ones and I am just trying to get this guy's motivations here.

witz1976

John , Richard, Mark,
I am not trying to down the blanks, what I am trying to understand here that you guys participated in a group buy, so did it end up in a group discount from this guy and is the price that he is asking for really justified, since i got some Claro Walnut from a member from California and they are as just nice as those Turkish ones and I am just trying to get this guy's motivations here.

His motivation is to sell his pen blanks.

I have some & they are nice. I don't see much difference between this and the Claro. As for the price justification, the fact that the wood comes from Turkey may justify the price to some, to others they don't care.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Having just reviewed the ad for the turkish walnut, I have to say that the price($42 for 12 blanks shipped) is not that high considering the shipping is a big nut. If you want turkish walnut, then he is a man to buy it from, if you don't want it then you are all set.

When I ship internationally, 12 blanks would cost about $14 to ship there which means that each blanks comes to $2.34 , that's not high for what could be considered an exotic wood.

phillywood

Having just reviewed the ad for the turkish walnut, I have to say that the price($42 for 12 blanks shipped) is not that high considering the shipping is a big nut. If you want turkish walnut, then he is a man to buy it from, if you don't want it then you are all set.

When I ship internationally, 12 blanks would cost about $14 to ship there which means that each blanks comes to $2.34 , that's not high for what could be considered an exotic wood.
Neil, thanks for the pointer, perhaps I didn't figure out or knew the International shipping cost.

Russianwolf

also remember that shiping from abroad to the states is usually much more expenses than a similar package sent the other direction.

When I import IBO for example, I usually plan on nearly half the cost being shipping.

jonrms

also remember that shiping from abroad to the states is usually much more expenses than a similar package sent the other direction.

When I import IBO for example, I usually plan on nearly half the cost being shipping.

I beg to differ on that.. My sister sends me packages and they dont weigh anything.. just maybe a bit big on size.. I send her the same type back and my postage is much less... ie brittish £ vs $

If I sent a bowling ball to CT.. and she sent me the same one back.. she would pay though her end........ ie ALOT.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager

I beg to differ on that.. My sister sends me packages and they dont weigh anything.. just maybe a bit big on size.. I send her the same type back and my postage is much less... ie brittish £ vs $

If I sent a bowling ball to CT.. and she sent me the same one back.. she would pay though her end........ ie ALOT.
I believe that is what he was saying.

jonrms

ahhh ok.. sorry I misunderstood then:redface:

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager

ahhh ok.. sorry I misunderstood then:redface:
No problem.:)

Top Bottom